Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential Fly-Ins for 2016

Climbing to Cruise Climbing to Cruise
    Florida panhandle between Pensacola and Ft Walton Beach

Potential Fly-Ins for 2016

Hey folks. Charley Booton, the new SE director here. Trying to line up a couple fly-ins to start off 2016 with some fun in sunny (not the case in the last two weeks, however) northwest Florida! Right now I have penciled in President's week in my calendar. Plan is to host at my home field, 18FD, Sky Ranch (3000' grass strip...less challenging than Adel during BACFest). If you choose, several other paved airports nearby...KCEW, KDTS and 2R4. At my field, I might be able to hangar some airplanes, however. Arrive Mon, 15 Feb and depart Thur, 18 Feb. Have much coordination and fine tuning to do...so stay tuned for more details/updates/changes. Lots to see down here. I'm retired USAF and still have connections with folks at nearby bases. Trying to arrange tours of the AC-130 Spectre gunship and CV22 tilt-rotor at Hurlburt Field on one day followed by an F-35 tour at Eglin AFB the next. Once again...still in the planning stage so stay tuned.

This month however, is the Breakfast Fly-In and Poker Run at Brewton Airport (12J) on Sat, 16 Jan starting at 9:00 am. I haven't organized a gathering for this, but just FYI. I participated couple years back and it was a hoot. I know I've seen it posted on our website already...I'll try to be there. Whomever would like to go, perhaps give a shout on the website...maybe a mini-gathering is in order.

Other ideas involve our usual gathering at Sun N Fun and perhaps a 4 June gathering at Peach State Aerodrome (GA2) for their Vintage Day Event. GA2 is in Williamson, GA near Griffin, GA about hour's drive south of Atlanta. It's also a grass strip/fly-in community with a fantastic restaurant called the Barnstormer Grill. The field has a vintage aircraft museum, actively restores rare antique airplanes (most of which are flyable) and hosts many airshows/events year-round. They recently restored an ultra-rare Curtiss JN-4 Jenny. Paved Griffin Airport (6A2) is close by.

Triple Tree Aerodrome Fly-in in Woodruff, SC on 7-11 Sep I've heard is a blast and perhaps we can work a gathering there as well. BACFest in Oct should wrap up the year nicely.

Once again, please understand all planning is in the early stages and welcome any other ideas and/or volunteers to organize these events.

Fly safely and looking forward to some good fun and fellowship!

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar

NORTHEAST REGION FLY-IN PLANS for 2016

Land on the ice runway in New Hampshire FEBRUARY 13, 2016 - 11am.

Other events being planned:
    Take off and land in 3 different states (CT RI NY) yet only fly 17nm. Anytime, get a certificate!
    Fly New York's Hudson River below the height of Manhattan's buildings. Anytime, get a certificate!
    See the War re-enactors in Reading, Pennsylvania. tba
    Poke around the Pocono Mountains in New York. tba
    BBQ in Plymouth, Massachusetts and depart for Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands. Summer.
    Hot dogs and glider rides in Springfield, Vermont. tba
    Berkshire Mountains foliage trip in Western Massachusetts. Fall.
    Pancake breakfast in the Lakes Region at Laconia, New Hampshire. October.
    Eat lunch in a Lockheed Constellation in Greenwood, New Jersey. tba
    Tour the Air National Guard base in Quonset, Rhode Island. tba
    Open House Lobsterfest in Brunswick, Maine. Summer.

Tom Corcoran, Regional Director
    Attached Images Attached Images

Charlie, I would be willing to do-host a Bahamas trip this winter if there is some interest. This time to a quiet and remote area with good bonefishing, cheap prices, mediocre food.

Paul Werbin
    Flight Ops/Safety director.

I'm Heading for Eleuthera this weekend, but by airline. We might be heading back down there sometime in early March. Spring break for my wife. Hopefully I can load up the family plane at that time. Paul, where did you get your saltwater fishing gear, fly rod.

mix of flies etc. I think about $140.00 depending on rod weight etc. not specifically salt water but holding up well for me. You flying into North Eleuthera I assume? Staying at that end of the island?

Paul Werbin

No, we fly into Rock Sound and then drive to Windermere from there. Savannah Sound is right there at Windermere thus my interest in fly fishing for those bonefish. I also will try to go diving in the south where the walls are but you need a group of four or five people in order to get them to go out. Otherwise I'll head up to Harbour Island and dive there. Personally I will fly to North Eleuthera, go through customs, fill-up and then head to Rock Sound. From there to wherever such as the Exumas.

OK Charley, are we going to battle over SC? I thought that was settled at BACFest!

Here's what I have as possibles for Mid-Atlantic:

SC: Triple Tree in Sept
    NC: Asheville in May for the Fly, Camp, Hike and Fish Fly-In
    MD: Frederick for lunch and then a short hop over to Clearview for short field landing
    WV: Windwood for lunch
    VA: Shenandoah to tour Select Aero Parts and then a short hop over to W13 for a burgers and dogs on the grill at my hangar.

Quote Originally Posted by corcoran View Post

NORTHEAST REGION FLY-IN PLANS for 2016

Land on the ice runway in New Hampshire FEBRUARY 13, 2016 - 11am.

Other events being planned:
    Take off and land in 3 different states (CT RI NY) yet only fly 17nm. Anytime, get a certificate!
    Fly New York's Hudson River below the height of Manhattan's buildings. Anytime, get a certificate!
    See the War re-enactors in Reading, Pennsylvania. tba
    Poke around the Pocono Mountains in New York. tba
    BBQ in Plymouth, Massachusetts and depart for Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket Islands. Summer.
    Hot dogs and glider rides in Springfield, Vermont. tba
    Berkshire Mountains foliage trip in Western Massachusetts. Fall.
    Pancake breakfast in the Lakes Region at Laconia, New Hampshire. October.
    Eat lunch in a Lockheed Constellation in Greenwood, New Jersey. tba
    Tour the Air National Guard base in Quonset, Rhode Island. tba
    Open House Lobsterfest in Brunswick, Maine. Summer.

Tom Corcoran, Regional Director
    When you do lunch on the Connie in NJ, let's do a DE fly-in that morning and get two for one!

Alan

Lets throw in a Golf outing overnight fly in around 4 July . Any interest . Culpeper fly over, Flying Circus Bealeton Va .

John Persinger
    Beech Aero Club President
    N18990

Sorry it seems only half my message posted. Cabella's has great complete kits for about $150 depending on your choice of rod weight etc. rod, reel, line, tools, case and a nice mix of flies.
    Eleuthera as you know is a nice mix of largely developed residential with grocery stores etc but still retaining a lot of old Bahamas feel.

Paul Werbin