Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back-to-Back (BAC-to-BAC) trip after BACFest 2016 - fly to Colorado

Back-to-Back (BAC-to-BAC) trip after BACFest 2016 - fly to Colorado

BAC team,

Some more details (and a new thread) of heading to Colorado after our get-together in Branson September 2016.

Airport is located at Salida, CO (KANK), about a 650 nm trip west. We now have to two adjacent homes (8 bedrooms to offer) since my sister has graciously donated her vacation house (Schoolhouse) for our use. Our family cabins are located in Monarch, CO at about 10,000 feet in an old mining town. My vacation home is called the Amen River House. https://www.vrbo.com/482014

Here is our family's site - - http://www.coloradocabinrentals.com/

Our tentative schedule is offering participants lodging for one to four nights, and being flexible in case the weather decides to keep us grounded a day or so at either Branson, MO or Salida, CO. I will need a headcount by the end of July, but of course, the sooner I know you plan to attend .... the better. This is a "low energy" location. No cell phone coverage, no internet. Bring a book! And your airplane adventure stories!
    Nelson Amen
    landed and supported local economy

I went last year, and the setting and accommodations are great. I was only there for one night but would love to go back. This is an easy flight and only just in the Rockies. Mostly following the road out of Pueblo West. Easy airport to land and take off. Pretty easy from the South too. I took that route home. Just have to jump the pass just South of town. Needs to be VFR as the hills are tall.
    Marty Vanover
    Oro Valley, Az.
    Sierra N65128

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

ONLY 6 1/2 MONTHS TO GO! MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

I have blocked out the two cabins (my River House and the Schoolhouse) for Sept. 25th to Sept. 30th for our use and (of course) hoping some of you will join us in the mountains for a day or two .... or more. We'll keep the arrival/departure dates very flexible for weather. In 2015 it took me two days of travel from DBQ due to the clouds we experienced on that Sunday morning after BACfest.

Still working on the family's third home if needed (you know how older brothers can be ...) and also will produce a structured briefing for those trying some "mountain flying" for the first time. Last two photos are of Marty's departure in 2015. He didn't even need to circle a few times (like Greg and I in our Sundowners) before heading out. The ultimate performance dude!

Let me know
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nelson Amen

Are you planning to make this trip to Colorado?? It is time for a head count, my friends.

Feel free to arrive and join in for airplane talk at 10,000 feet, even if you do not make BACfest 2016. Soooo .... let me know if I will be reserving a spot for you at the cabins. Anytime from Sunday (Sept 25th) through Friday (Sept 30th) is good, and driving to this "after-BACfest event" is just fine, you all. Please drop me a note by July 24th for planning - - simple.
    Nelson Amen

Nelson,

I'm sorry to say I won't make BACfest or the trip to Salida this year. I have my 50th high school class reunion at the same time. Last year was a blast, even though it was just the three of us. I had a few days of formation flying with Greg prior to our arrival. Due to the weather, that was an experience too. Unfortunately I had to leave early due to the weather situation developing in the Southwest. I hope I get to make that trip again. It is a beautiful place to fly into and your place in the mountains was breathtaking in October. Brisk mornings, balmy days and going to sleep to the sound of that gurgling brook outside the window. I hope you get the place packed with BACers and toast the the club one night. Sorry I'm going to miss this one.
    Marty Vanover
    Oro Valley, Az.
    Sierra N65128

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

I'm a definite maybe. 75% odds I'll go.
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

Nelson, My wife is going to BACFest w/ me this year (her 1st time, my 2nd time), but we won't be able to enjoy the Rockies afterwards. We have to get back to work! Wish I were going though........... It was a fantastic trip last year, with wonderful accommodations and friends. I highly recommend it to others. Sorry that we'll all miss Marty this year.
    ...fly safely...
    M Greg Johnson
    N2241L

bump to top - - - - -

Fun and free - - - but again, I will need a head count by the end of July ..... in 12 days for those of you counting this down. I keep a vehicle at the airport, and will be the shuttle driver as needed.

PM's are working well for responding, or reply in this thread. Simple. And I will post the final headcount in a couple of weeks!

Hope you can join us
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nelson Amen

Low head count so far (two planes) joining in - - - - hoping for more!! Lots of room and hospitality await your arrival!
    Nelson Amen

A very nice return trip yesterday from the Colorado mountains and our vacation home. Diverted about 60 miles west (hello Midland/Odessa) to avoid t-storms in central Texas. ADS-B weather and the Sundowner performed beautifully. Room inside Sundowner made a comfortable difference. Last leg from Dumas was 4 1/2 hours, close to my max.

Any more takers for the after Bacfest trip ?? Yes - - I am asking you !! Plenty of mountain bedrooms still available. Fall colors will be remarkable.

Tip for the day - - - - that defroster vent is GREAT for warming bagels in the morning at 11,500 ft. Excellent!
    Nelson Amen