Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Maryland member

New Maryland member

Hello everyone!
    I just joined and I would say that I'm dreaming of being a potential owner! I'm active duty Navy stationed at Andrews AFB, Md. I've loved aviation since I was a kid and have worked as an aviation electrician on various Navy planes for the past 21 years (F/A-18, C-130, C-9B, C-20D, and C-37B). I haven't finished my PPL yet but I'm thinking it's about time. I've flown C-152's, C-172's and a Cherokee 140. I'm 6'4" about 200lbs so they have all been a pretty tight fit, especially the 152! I love the idea of owning my own aircraft, and have thrown around the idea of building one, but I just don't think I have the time with my two little kids. From what I've read the Musketeer's and Sundowner's seem like they would be a much better fit and if the right one came along I could see buying to finish my PPL. Would love to hear some opinions on Beech ownership and if this would be a good first aircraft.
    Ahren

Welcome Ahren!

If you have not sat in a Musketeer series: Musketeer, Sport, Super, Custom, Sierra, Sundowner please find one and I think you'll like it. For us larger folks they offer alot more comfort than the Cs or Ps. And of course the Mooneys!!

The musketeer series is one of the bargains of aviation, and you will find the most helpful 550 fellow member/owners right here.

Let us know what you are looking for and we can help you with the search and pre-purchase.

Rap McBurney

Rap McBurney
    N28848

Wow Rap thanks for the quick reply!!

I actually found this club while l was doing a search for Musketeers and came across the one currently listed in the classifieds. That one looks like a pretty good bargain for a C23. I think ideally that model with the 0-360 would be great. I don't really have a need to fly especially fast but the extra hp would be nice. Basically just looking for a well maintained aircraft that I can build time and experience with. An IFR panel would be nice for down the road, but not a deal breaker if it's not.

Ahren

If it's Rex's SD in La, he and I have been emailling about his SD. Thought I might take a look if any BACers are interested in it (not me I already have too many airplanes). My parents live about 60nm from him and I plan to take a look at it around the end of Feb when I visit my folks at AEX on my monthly visit. They are 91 and 94, both WW2 vets.

Again, welcome. Post any questions on the forums. Usually answer within minutes.

As you get deeper in your searching, you will want to cruise the forums for new owner postings, and get a copy of the mouse hunt .doc for your prebuy.

Rap

Rap McBurney
    N28848

Hey Rap,

That's the one I was looking at. I emailed him a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet. I did see the pre buy doc and downloaded it. I'm not in a super big hurry but would probably be ready if the right plane comes available. If you do make the trip out to see it I would really be interested in your opinion! I'm comfortable workig on planes and I'm hoping to also finish up my A&P this spring. The only thing is that all of my experience is on bigger more complex platforms with really good step by step manuals. The Navy for the most part buys pretty good maintenance manuals so they can be easily used by very junior maintainers. I've never really had the opportunity to work on light aircraft engines and that would be the one thing I would need to get smart on.

That's pretty awesome that both of your parents are WW2 vets! My grandfather flew B-25's during the war. I guess I have him to thank for my love of aviation!

Thanks again for being so welcoming!

Ahren

Ahren,

Once this foot is ready to go and I'm cleared to fly, you're welcome to check out my sundowner. I'm based in ocean city md,KOXB. We can arrange a meet up too, whatever works.

I hope to flying in April sometime. Thanks for your service.
    Gary Mascelli
    PP-ASEL-IA
    N6708R - BE23

FLIGHT JOURNAL

"Currency goes in your logbook, PROFICIENCY keeps you alive." - Old CFI

If you are in the navy sooner or later you will be in Va Beach. When that happens send me a message and we can fly a bit.

Paul Werbin
    Flight Ops/Safety director.

Hey Gary,

Thank you very much! I would love to come out and check out your Sundowner and pick your brain about them some time! I could probably easily talk my wife into a beach trip for the weekend sometime.

Ahren

Quote Originally Posted by 76Ahren View Post
    Hey Rap,

That's the one I was looking at. I emailed him a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet. I did see the pre buy doc and downloaded it. I'm not in a super big hurry but would probably be ready if the right plane comes available. If you do make the trip out to see it I would really be interested in your opinion! I'm comfortable workig on planes and I'm hoping to also finish up my A&P this spring. The only thing is that all of my experience is on bigger more complex platforms with really good step by step manuals. The Navy for the most part buys pretty good maintenance manuals so they can be easily used by very junior maintainers. I've never really had the opportunity to work on light aircraft engines and that would be the one thing I would need to get smart on.

That's pretty awesome that both of your parents are WW2 vets! My grandfather flew B-25's during the war. I guess I have him to thank for my love of aviation!

Thanks again for being so welcoming!

Ahren
    The musketeer series is super simple, BUT the maint manuals are weak at best. Good thing is there are about a gazillion years of experience right here if you run into any problems.

Rap A&P/IA
    Past Prez BAC

Rap McBurney
    N28848

Welcome Ahren, and thank you for your service.

While you are searching for your plane, you may also want to check out where you'll park it. There are two fields within 10-12 minutes of JBA - Potomac Airfield and Washington Executive Airpark/Hyde Field. Both are inside the Washington DC Flight Restricted Zone, and each has some unique challenges for those based there. There are other fields further away (driving time), but I lived on JBA and avoided the traffic whenever possible.

I had a hangar at Potomac (KVKX) and enjoyed it. The hangars are a bit older, but fairly well maintained. The runway and taxiways are decent. If you go there, talk with David Wartofsky for details and to see if there may be any CFIs on the field.

Good luck with your search, and congrats for pursuing your certificate!

CB
    Summer 2016 - CleoBen has taken off or landed in each of these states plus EISG in County Sligo, Ireland