Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New member from Ft Worth, TX, interested in Sierras

Mike, I am based at KORF, Norfolk Va. is your plane located near here?

Paul Werbin
    Flight Ops/Safety director.

Quote Originally Posted by michael sigman View Post
    [COLOR=#333333]For speed there's some low hanging fruit. First and easiest is flap adjustment - lots of our birds fly around with a 1-3 degrees of flaps. The bottom of the flap should be "in plane" with the lower wing surface. That makes the airplane light on it's feet for breaking and robs speed. Next is that big old tail beacon can be worth 1-2 kts (some people claim 3-5 but probably only on an otherwise fairly clean aircraft). That's next on our list. Last is making sure the airplane is "in rig". There's lots of confusion on rigging our aircraft outside the community. Any airplane out of rig robs speed. Beyond that I think it's rapidly diminishing returns............

Mike
    You are correct that the flap adjustment will return dividends in speed. My Sierra is proof that there is only so much there that is easy to find. For the C24Rs there is a knot or two if you install hubcaps, it may help the As and Bs too. An additional 3-4 kts was seen after I removed the rotating beacon and faired in the fin cap. The rest was little clean-ups that was very hard to see any speed improvement. I did make a "special improvement" that resulted in some more knots, but I don't advertise it.

I flew today for a couple of hours (light) and saw 142 KTAS with 75% power set and leaned to 8.4-8.7 gph. This is typical for my airplane. But I probably have a stronger engine than most even at that reduced power (lean of peak mixture is about 6-8% lower than best power mixture).
    Last edited by mvanover; 05-19-2017 at 07:44 PM. Reason: re-calculating TAS with computer
    Marty Vanover
    Oro Valley, Az.
    Sierra N65128

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

Mike:
    The flap rigging thing is super easy, any A&P could figure it out in 2 mins, or have him/her call me and I can walk them thru. Centering the ailerons with the rudder gets a bit more complicated, but still straight forward A&P territory. Level the flaps first, then match the ailerons to the flaps, not the wingtips with the rudder straight. I know the MM says 2-3 degrees offset, but straight is good enough.

Bias the weight aft and the Sierra will go faster.

As for DFW help, Derek Duknic is based in Houston area, owns a SD and is mouse savvy. Can't help with ORF mechanic but Paul Werbin, BAC safety Director has reached out to you already, and knows tons about Sierras.

Rap

Rap McBurney
    N28848

Quote Originally Posted by rgschmi View Post
    Mike,

I think that was a tongue in cheek post by the @$$ himself...
    Well good giggly wiggly I seem to have a bit of egg on my bib here! That's what happens when you're a newbie on a forum.....

Thanks for the information; I'll reach out.

Mike

After taking my Serra to Hammerhead about 5 years ago my ailerons were adjusted level with the flaps. At the Paola fly-in an observant Steve Powers pointed out that my ailerons are now level with the wing tips. I was flabbergasted. The only thing I can think is that my current A&P tightened the cables under the spar cover because their tensionometer told them they were too loose. Steve said there is another adjustment behind the rear seat that they should have used to correct the change. Now I am wondering if my A&P will be able to figure out how to resolve this. I do have the shop manual and there is information there. The lesson I have learned is that I became too complacent and quit looking at the things that I thought were corrected. We must always be vigilant.
    Mike Nielsen
    McCook, NE
    Sierra N9164S

Quote Originally Posted by niechiro View Post
    After taking my Serra to Hammerhead about 5 years ago my ailerons were adjusted level with the flaps. At the Paola fly-in an observant Steve Powers pointed out that my ailerons are now level with the wing tips. I was flabbergasted. The only thing I can think is that my current A&P tightened the cables under the spar cover because their tensionometer told them they were too loose. Steve said there is another adjustment behind the rear seat that they should have used to correct the change. Now I am wondering if my A&P will be able to figure out how to resolve this. I do have the shop manual and there is information there. The lesson I have learned is that I became too complacent and quit looking at the things that I thought were corrected. We must always be vigilant.
    This is why I really love owner assisted annuals. Any owner who visits the forums occasionally would know to ask "why are you adjusting my ailerons, and why are you matching them to the wingtips?" (Please, this is not a slight on Mike N)

It is annoying to have an owner ask me "why are you doing X?" but if I can't explain it, I shouldn't be doing it.

Rap

Rap McBurney
    N28848

I have had a few repairs by experts "Redone" by mechanics that assume we want whatever they usually do for pipers etc. very frustrating for those of us that can't always help with maintenance. Somehow "call before you do anything" doesn't click sometimes.

Paul Werbin
    Flight Ops/Safety director.

Quote Originally Posted by rgschmi View Post
    Mike,

I think that was a tongue in cheek post by the @$$ himself...
    Hey! I just call 'EM, how I see 'EM! Lol.

Darrell Royal said, "If its the truth it ain't bragging!" But I may have been bragging a little bit, just this one time. Politics is a blood sport. And I just won my sixth public election in a row. I've been called everything and accused of everything. Its too funny!!!

Thread tangent warning!

Yoda was a gift from God! Not that Rap isn't. Because he is!

Most MX Shops charge a flat 'Shop Rate' per hour, no matter who does the actual work, top lead tech or the lowest apprentice in the shop. This is how they make their margin. Their SOP, If you will. I've never known a shop that didn't discount services, troubleshooting, goodwill hours and items and free stock hardware, etc... everything should be negotiable. But they must make a profit or they will not be there next year.

Yoda did it for love, not money.

It's my understanding that BAC in the day, Yoda and now, Rap work owners like galley slaves. IMHO, most of the 100 Hour Inspection items can be done by the most novice of owners, under the 'very close' supervision of an A&P. Our Shop Manual has the manufacturer inspection criteria. It's extensive. There's lots of access and reassembly involved. An A&P can do or supervise the 100 Hour Inspection and sign it off. An IA must 'perform' the Annual Inspection and sign off the return to service. So an owner can disassemble, access, inspect himself, service, lubricate and learn. Then reassemble after the IA inspection, service or repairs are completed. The opportunity to learn and get a sign off for work experience are priceless.

I am NOT talking about an engine compression test (DANGEROUS!). I don't trust most mechanics on this one.

wdbd, pls step away from the liquor cabinet.

I can't stand in Rellihan's shadow, but I did catch him at one mistake. I've been caught at many.

You are absolutely correct, I do it for the joy of working on mouses and for the satisfaction of seeing an owner understand just a few things about his/her airplane that he/she didn't know before.

BTW, I continue to learn. Didn't know what flap brackets were made of until Weiss told me.

Rap

Rap McBurney
    N28848