Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Landing gear donuts.

Landing gear donuts.

Hello all; I have a 1963 Musketeer that needs new landing gear cushions/donuts/discs. She is sitting pretty low and I don't believe they have ever been changed.

Where can I get the best deal on these, and what should I expect to pay for them?

I also see that other owners have a "shake" in their nose gear. What is the fix for this and expected parts cost?

I am new to the club (15 minutes ago) and am excited to be here. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Semper Fi/Regards,

HARPOON

Welcome to BAC! You'll get more informed replies from others, but for my $0.02, there won't be much of a deal on donuts. AECI is one of the few suppliers and they are not cheap on product cost or shipping (http://www.aec-inc.com/online-store.html). We had a club deal in January but I think they are about $780 per gear leg these days, plus J O bolts you'll very likely need. Once done you'll have them done for years so think of it as a multi-year expense. The install can be done, we have BAC tools and videos of "how to" that can help your mechanic.

Your nose gear probably needs to be rebuilt and get new shims. There are great pictures (pdf's really) in the download section of how to install the shims. Unless your mechanic has a full shop and the materials to punch them out you'll need to order them, again others will chime in or search for "nose gear shim" in the threads. Mine took about a day to remove, rebuild and replace so depending on your mechanic and rate that should be close.

When you get a chance go to your member profile and update your information on your plane, it helps with others giving you help on this stuff.

Again welcome to the club.
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me, so far...

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

Much thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by MDunlevie View Post
    Welcome to BAC! You'll get more informed replies from others, but for my $0.02, there won't be much of a deal on donuts. AECI is one of the few suppliers and they are not cheap on product cost or shipping (http://www.aec-inc.com/online-store.html). We had a club deal in January but I think they are about $780 per gear leg these days, plus J O bolts you'll very likely need. Once done you'll have them done for years so think of it as a multi-year expense. The install can be done, we have BAC tools and videos of "how to" that can help your mechanic.

Your nose gear probably needs to be rebuilt and get new shims. There are great pictures (pdf's really) in the download section of how to install the shims. Unless your mechanic has a full shop and the materials to punch them out you'll need to order them, again others will chime in or search for "nose gear shim" in the threads. Mine took about a day to remove, rebuild and replace so depending on your mechanic and rate that should be close.

When you get a chance go to your member profile and update your information on your plane, it helps with others giving you help on this stuff.

Again welcome to the club.
    You mentioned in your reply that AECI is one of a few suppliers. I had a recent bad experience with AECI and would appreciate knowing of any other suppliers of these shock discs.

Thnaks,

Tom Lyons

Tom-

The only other alternative would be Textron/Beechcraft shock discs. You won't like the price...
    Chris Nowak
    N47 - Pottstown, PA

Dealing with AECI is bad news. Even when we did the group buy on the donuts, he shipped half of us defective old donuts that he tried to say was a mistake. Eventually he took them all back and sent good ones. He's not worth doing any business with. Maybe someone else on here knows an alternative place to buy them.

I have already had all the shock discs replaced. One of the discs on my Nose Landing Gear split and fell out after around 70 landings. His statement was that it must have been because of internal pressure, but the photos that I received of the disc from the airport that found it showed that the brass was not a continuous solid piece. The remaining discs do not show any signs of failure. He has not responded to my request to replace it after I sent him the numerous photos that he requested. I don't need any now as I received one from a local supplier that had one. I certainly will never purchase anything else from him.

Tom,

Just out of curiosity, how much did that local supplier charge you? If they didn't charge you several hundred dollars for one disc (see Textron price below) I'm betting they got it from AECI.

As Chris pointed out, Textron is the alternative and last I heard they were charging $3,000 per gear leg for a stack, about $375 per disc.

Yes AECI was a mess on our deal. I have no doubt if it were not for the pressure applied by BAC members and the "all for one, one for all" approach that would not have ended as it did. Big thanks again to those guys!

Given that experience we may soon be left with only Textron for these, unless out there is a BAC member who is an engineer and has the desire and ability to get a PMA to make this seemingly simple discs...
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me, so far...

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

It was an original from a local salvage dealer. It came from a crashed plane and met original specs and cost $30 plus shipping. He only had 4 discs.

Tom

Michael,

It would be of a great value if someone could get a PMA and produce these discs. I expect that the market is small for any kind of production volume, but if they were less expensive, more owners might change them more often.

Take care out there at Eagle,

Tom