Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Landing gear donuts.

Here's an early version. The longer the extension, the more you can avoid the dihedral.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rap McBurney
    N8786

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth bbyer's Avatar

forgot about that

Quote Originally Posted by mvanover View Post
    The problem with the long extension is, the dihedral of the wing on the inboard side. The longer the extension the further the drill is away from the Jo-Bolt and the lower you have to have the drill, increasing the angle. 3" wobble works best, 6+ inch extension might require a universal.
    I forgot about that "detail" - the farther away from the inboard side of the gear leg, the lower you go. I must have banged my head once too much last time under.

I guess that is why I ask the simple questions - details matter - thanks.

I think the "kit" has to include everything but the drill, and that will require a spec with particular reference to the speed.

At the same time, with a detailed list, I would beable to find all the items in a pawn shop with the exception of the Jo-Bolt adapter; not all of it has to be Craftsman.

What is interesting is at least up here, finding high torque low rpm 1/2" corded drills in a pawn shop is pretty easy. They will look pretty sad as they will be covered in an inch of drywall mud, but that can be soaked off. These low rpm high torque drills are used as mud mixers.

https://bettertoolz.com/best-mixing-...rywall-cement/
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Jo-Bolt really high up!

Quote Originally Posted by Unclerap View Post
    Here's an early version. The longer the extension, the more you can avoid the dihedral.
    Compared to my gear legs, that Jo-Bolt is really high up and would have been a real showstopper with the air operated Jo-Bolt gun. Getting the oversize reamer, shortened or otherwise, square on, would also have been a challenge.

The blue tape is how I lined up the Jo-Bolt gun and the reamer with the the leg.

Blue Tape out from Jo-Bolt to provide a centre line.jpg
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Shortened reamers, wobble bars, extensions, expletives,........................or, ..........you just drill a new hole to the correct size, where you can get to it. (approved repair procedure)
    Mark
    In Oz

Where I have landed a Beech

(Plus, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom)

As I had two Jo-Bolts fail the torque test, I oped for O.S. Jo-Bolts. It turns out the top set of original holes were aligned. I simply reamed inboard hole through the outboard hole. Pulling the inboard Jo-Bolt was done with 6" extension and universal (my 3" wobble extension was in my home tool box). Mark is right, the instructions allow you to drill additional holes below the original holes. I thought I'd use the original hole locations to go oversize as I installed AECi donuts. They compressed and took a set of 1 inch shorter than a new set over one year of service. When I called AECi they said that was normal and that the discs don't last more than 3 or 4 years. Hmmm....??? I figure these will probably go for another year before they need replacement. I had my Sierra for 10 years and the donuts were still good when I sold it. I think the next set will be Lords from Textron. Expensive, but ........
    Marty Vanover
    Tucson, Az.

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

yes, you are correct

Quote Originally Posted by markweiss View Post
    Shortened reamers, wobble bars, extensions, expletives,........................or, ..........you just drill a new hole to the correct size, where you can get to it. (approved repair procedure)
    Yes, you are correct, but when one is trying to reuse the already existing holes, that is when it can get difficult.

What I wondered about was how on my 19A the guys who did the original Jo-Bolt service bulletin update actually did it - that is why and how did they get the hole on the inboard side up so high given the dihedral.

The conclusion I came to was they did the outboard side first and then were kind of stuck with the elevation of where the inboard hole went.

But yes, lower is better, and if they had done the inboard side first, then I would not have had the challenges.

In fact it occurred to me, that if I had a Sierra, (dream), I would also not have had the fuss.
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567