Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New here and looking to buy a Musketeer or Sundowner

Question New here and looking to buy a Musketeer or Sundowner

All,

Great to be a new member! My name is Phil, and I live in Manassas, VA. I'm a relatively new pilot (certificated last July, 2017) and did the majority of my private training and checkride in a 1963 BE-23, N2356J (approx. 98 hrs in this plane), based at Leesburg, VA. That plane was recently sold and no longer available for rent, so I am looking to find my own!

I am in the process of possibly purchasing a 1965 A23, N1475L, currently located in Plant City, FLA at KPCM. According to the ad on Trade-A-Plane, this aircraft has 1800 hrs TT, and 153 hrs SMOH. It has an IO-346 Continental. I have some questions/concerns regarding this motor. From what I have read, it's a strong engine, but parts are a little hard to come by. Please provide your well accumulated thoughts, comments, concerns regarding this motor or problems I could face.

I have spoken with the A&P who has been maintaining this aircraft. He overhauled the motor approximately 5 years ago. During that process, all factory new cylinder kits were installed. He stated that when he did compression checks, the compressions were at 60. He was somewhat surprised considering the cylinders/pistons/rings were new, and thought the levels should be closer to what you would see on a Lycoming (~70 or better). He stated that he called Continental directly and that they told him that compressions of 60 were absolutely fine for that particular engine, that the levels could go as low as 45 when worn to the point of needing to be overhauled, and that there was a service bulletin out regarding this. He stated that he would research and locate a copy of this SB to provide to me. I don't want to run into issues during annuals with an A&P who isn't familiar with this, if in fact this is the case.

I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback regarding this as I am currently planning on going to look at it the first week of next month unless you awesome people know of something better!!!

Thank you to John for helping me this morning! Awesome!

Phil:
    The "connie mouse" is a sleeper with the engine you describe. Relatively low time, should provide years of service. You are correct that parts availablilty for the engine are limited, but it's really just the big expensive parts: Crankshaft, cam, case, a few other internals. If it indeed has the continental cylinder kit that upgrades to the IO-520 cylinders, that means the top end of the engine has parts common to 1,000s of airframes.

I've attached the mousehunt doc that will give you a few buyers tips and some gotchas especially on the early musketeers.

Hope this helps.

Rap
    Attached Files Attached Files

Rap McBurney
    N82809

I checked out the ad. 1800 hrs in 53 years implies that it sat alot, check the logs carefully. Sitting in Florida is not good for aluminum and magnesium. Donuts from the pix might make it another year, or they may be original which is a bad thing. There are several ADs that need to be cleaned up on the early mouses, after that EZ flying and low maint. Watch out for AD 73-20-07R2 (ref'd in the mousehunt), this airframe under 2,000 hrs is visual inspection only, at 2,000 you need a dye penetrant test, and every 500 thereafter. Also there's an AD on the MLG to replace the standard hardware bolts with jo bolts. Again, if prevly completed, EZ maint hereout.

If talking this thru is easier, 256 276 6413 daylight hrs central time.

PS: Welcome to the family!!!!

Rap
    Last edited by Unclerap; 04-16-2018 at 09:32 AM.

Rap McBurney
    N82809

Phil,

Welcome to BAC !

I agree with Rap and many others the Connie powered mice are bargains! Probably the greatest bargains in aviation? Especially with the low time engine and new cylinders as you have described.

This aircraft is a little different, even from other airframes in our fleet. There are some operational procedures with the fuel system and the plumbing that you will need to learn. It’s no big deal. It’s just flight procedures.

I’m a fan of these aircraft, but haven’t owned one. We have great and very knowledgeable members here, that own, operate and love these aircraft and engines.

Best wishes,

I may just take you up on that! John Persinger also told me about a nice one that I may lean towards as well! Thank you sir!

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wdnd5960 View Post
    Phil,

Welcome to BAC !

I agree with Rap and many others the Connie powered mice are bargains! Probably the greatest bargains in aviation? Especially with the low time engine and new cylinders as you have described.

This aircraft is a little different, even from other airframes in our fleet. There are some operational procedures with the fuel system and the plumbing that you will need to learn. It’s no big deal. It’s just flight procedures.

I’m a fan of these aircraft, but haven’t owned one. We have great and very knowledgeable members here, that own, operate and love these aircraft and engines.

Best wishes,

I actually saw this Mouse about a month ago at a fly in held at that airport. It's under a covered hangar, right? I was also checking out a Cherokee Six and an awful looking Mooney that were there as well.

The pictures indicate that it's kept under a covered open air awning yes. Anything note worthy that you noticed? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Black GTS View Post
    I actually saw this Mouse about a month ago at a fly in held at that airport. It's under a covered hangar, right? I was also checking out a Cherokee Six and an awful looking Mooney that were there as well.

It appeared to be in good condition. My first impression was how tall it was. This is the first Mouse that I have really been close enough to since I started looking. I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but I wasn't going over it with a fine tooth comb. Also it had a cover over it so I couldn't look inside. I may be heading that way in the next day or two and will look at it a little closer if you want me to.

Ron