Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: AEC Donuts - From the Horse's Mouth

Hi guys I think if the price was more reasonable on the donuts people would step up and change them more ! I am ready to buy a set today for my mouse just not ready for outrageous price because they can ! Dave

If you think the price is unreasonable from AEC, price them from Textron. That will really upset you. As in all things in aviation, there is just not the numbers that can support mass production, and small batches cost a lot. Set up time, cost of molds, raw material costs, and then run 100 units, or run the units on an as needed basis. It just costs.

Rick

Climbing to Cruise Climbing to Cruise cmmguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mdunlevie View Post
    Here is a pic, hope it helps.

Attachment 8744
    Hmmm... In lieu of a drawing, I could reverse engineer that dimensionally and create a solid model if that would help the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by flyboy56 View Post
    Hi guys I think if the price was more reasonable on the donuts people would step up and change them more ! I am ready to buy a set today for my mouse just not ready for outrageous price because they can ! Dave
    Let's assume $10 donut. That's $240 plus shipping, and our mfg is reasonable on shipping and handling another 20 bucks. 4 jo bolts, $35 each, $10 shipping. You are now at $410 just for parts. BAC tools $30 plus $25 shipping x2. Pushing $500. Your mx is $75/hr, 20 hrs. $1,500. How often are you going to plunk down $2k on your mouse?

I'd be ok with AECi pricing if the guy actually adhered to his shipping policy in his ad, would stand behind his products, and was not a felon. IMHO, the day will come when AECi is not in biz. Then you are looking at $2,000 PER GEAR LEG for donuts.

Again, just MHO.

Rap

Rap McBurney
    N8786

I finally got mine installed after having them for almost two years.
    I am in Canada, so with exchange rate and customs, I was at about 5000$CAD for donuts and jo bolts.
    Then, after 3000$CAD labor in the shop (they had to do bushings (300$) for the castings).
    They also used up both spare jo-bolts, as the holes were too large and they had to make new ones.
    IMG_20180822_080937.jpg

But now I should be good for a while.

That oval shape to the casting is normal and does not affect airworthiness.

Rap McBurney
    N8786

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth bbyer's Avatar

Where is that egg shaped hole?

Quote Originally Posted by Unclerap View Post
    That oval shape to the casting is normal and does not affect airworthiness.
    Is that hole looking into the top of a gear leg? I just do not recognize it but I guess I soon will as I will be doing the donuts on my 19A in October / November.

Yes, my donut costs in Canadian dollars match above - not a fun experience and no one will ever notice.

If one was every thinking resale, I think the best money I spent was when I nickel plated the valve covers.

IMGP0023.jpgIMGP0832.jpg
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Plated valve covers are known to add 10 knots of speed to the aircraft. I know this is factual as everyone who has done this, when asked for cruise numbers, has returned with the higher value !

That’s a beautiful engine! Thank you for sharing those pix.

Yes, that's the hole in the top of the gear leg where the donut stack tube is.

Rap McBurney
    N8786