I posted this on the BAC Technical Disscussion. I'm passing this on to the MM guys who aren't BAC members, which I hope is few.

"Follow up to the first posting:

I spent the weekend at 57AZ working on the Sierra. We realized we was going to need the proper tools to remove the taper pin in the MLG upper housing/trunnion shaft. Home Depot to the rescue with a portable air compressor and a borrowed 3X rivet gun was enough to drive the pin out. Tapping on the trunion fork with a wooded drift was enough to remove the bolt and the spherical bearing. I primed the actuator and installed it in the airplane. The nasty part is bleeding the system. You have to crack the "B" nuts at each actuator (extend/retract AND uplock). Very messy, clean up took most of the afternoon. We did not bleed the nose gear actuators as they are the lowest in the system and least likely to have air present. In fact, only the left actuators had any evidence of air. I did check the up lock latches and found the LH out of limits by .015. I was going to make the required adjustment, but was unable to keep the actuator shaft from turning in the actuator. So, we decided
to put that on our maintenance item list for our annual in February. We adjusted the up stops on all three gears and cycled the gear many times. We performed the emergency gear extension 3 times with no problems getting 3-in-the-green.

Flight test followed with the pax door popping open just as we departed the pattern. This is an issue we haven't found a cause for as yet. An extera hard slam seems to work. After the second take-off we did a couple of inflight retraction/extensions and all was well.

We decided to do a performance evaluation and went to 5500 ft. Our GWTO was at 2450 and the temp at 5500 ft. was 18 deg C resulting in 7200 ft DA (incorrectly shown as PA on the BAC posting). 2500 rpm and full throttle gave us 24.2 inches of MAP and a FF of 9.75 gph. We flew a GPS track of 310 deg going North and 130 South for four legs. Our IAS was 128 on each leg. According to my whiz wheel this was 143 KTAS. However, our GPS ground speed average was 139 KTS. I tend to believe the GPS as my whiz wheel is small and difficult for my tired eyes to see all those little ticks accurately. So, I think our airplane is getting pretty close to book value for cruise with a max GWTO.

Lessons learned? Having the right tools is important and would have saved us an extra weekend. Letting the penetrating oil soak over night on the taper pins was worth the wait (would mouse milk have worked faster?). Don't overservice the hydraulic reservoir while operating/bleeding the hydraulic system. Have plenty of speedy dry, Stoddard solvent and red rags for bleeding the hydraulic system. Oh yeah, have the shop manual at the ready."

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.