Thread: Crankshaft AD

Crankshaft AD

Good afternoon,
    We have just encountered an interesting situation. We have been complying with AD # 98 02 08 since it came out. We are currently doing an overhaul and sent our crank to Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa. Bob, the shop foreman, told us that this AD did not apply to us because it only applied to the 180 hp engines. As I read the AD, it definitely did apply to us.

Called Lycoming and spoke to a tech who said that the 200 hp engines were exempt. However, this is according to Lycoming's SB and he said that he was not allowed to address AD's since they were governmental. Bottom line is that as far as Lycoming is concerned, we are not affected. As far as the FAA, we are. The Lycoming tech suggested that the only way to resolve it was to contact our FSDO and have them issue a letter stating essentially that the AD was wrong.

I opted for the safer way out and called Aircraft Specialties and told them
    that even if the SB showed we were exempt, we wanted the paint job and the PID stamped on the crank and documented in the paperwork.

Bottom line is that if any of you with the IO-360's do an overhaul, insist
    that the machine shop do SB 530 even if they think it is unnecessary or you will be faced with popping the plug on your crankshaft every 5 years.
    John

Crankshaft AD

>We have been complying with AD # 98 02 08 since it came out. We are currently doing an >overhaul and sent our crank to Aircraft Specialties in Tulsa. Bob, the shop foreman, told
    >us that this AD did not apply to us because it only applied to the 180 hp
    >engines. As I read the AD, it definately did apply to us. Called Lycoming
    >and spoke to a tech who said that the 200 hp engines were exempt. However,
    >this is according to Lycoming's SB and he said that he was not allowed to
    >address AD's since they were governmental. Bottom line is that as far as
    >Lycoming is concerned, we are not affected. As far as the FAA, we are.

Reading the AD it plainly states that ALL 360 series engines (except for a few models that are specifically exempted -- mostly Helicopter installations) are included.

----------
    98-02-08 Textron Lycoming: Amendment 39-10291. Docket 94-ANE-44.
    Applicability: Textron Lycoming 320 series limited to 160 horsepower, and 360 series, four cylinder reciprocating engines with fixed pitch propellers; except for the following installed in helicopters or with solid crankshafts: HO-360 series, HIO-360 series, LHIO-360 series, VO-360 series, and IVO-360 series, and Models O-320-B2C, O-360-J2A, AEIO-360-B4A, O-360-A4A, -A4G, -A4J, -A4K, -A4M, and -C4F. In addition, engines with crankshafts containing "PID" stamped on the outside diameter of the propeller flange are exempt from the inspection requirements of this AD. The affected engines are installed on but not limited to reciprocating engine powered aircraft manufactured by Cessna, Piper, Beech, American Aircraft Corporation, Grumman American Aviation, Mooney, Augustair Inc., Maule Aerospace Technology Corporation, Great Lakes Aircraft Co., and Commander Aircraft Co.
    ----------

>The Lycoming tech suggested that the only way to resolve it was to contact our
    >FDSO and have them issue a letter stating essentially that the AD was wrong.

Fat chance THAT is going to happen. If you read the FAA's response to the public comments you will see that they are not interested in minimizing the number of planes that may be affected.

>I opted for the safer way out and called Aircraft Specialties and told them
    >that even if the SB showed we were exempt, we wanted the paint job and the
    >PID stamped on the crank and documented in the paperwork.

This is standard procedure at the engine shop local to me. Have been doing it even on the unaffected engines below 160 HP for many years now.

>Bottom line is that if any of you with the IO-360's do an overhaul, insist
    >that the machine shop do SB 530 even if they think it is unnecessary or you
    >will be faced with popping the plug on your crankshaft every 5 years.

Lots more to it than "popping the crank plug". It is worth the cost up front at OH to clean and treat the crank snout ID per the SB 530, just to ward off any future corrosion issues. Cranks are NOT getting any cheaper, and the bore of the crank snout is an area that is subject to corrosion on Fixed Pitch prop planes.

--Bob Steward A&P IA
    Birmingham, AL

Crankshaft AD

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your comments. I thought this might be of general interest to the
    group. I found it quite interesting that a major aircraft engine machine
    shop would be passing over on this. I can certainly see why as they
    undoubtably rely on Lycoming's SB's, but I wonder how many have had crank
    overhauls and felt that they were out of the reach of the AD.
    John

Lycoming 0-360 AD

Does anyone know if any Sundowners were affected by the AD out on some 0-360 engines? I looked up AD 2006-20-09 and it mentions that the AD may apply to some Sierras and the Duchess, but, I did not see the Sundowner listed.

I have been looking hard for awhile trying to find a clean, low time, Sundowner or, even , horrors, a warrior, and I think I may be close to settling on a sundowner after looking and looking and more looking. (Actually made an offer on one, had a prebuy done, and the donuts were shot, and could not get any relief from the seller, so, I kept looking).

Anyway, the seller of this sundowner says the aircraft complies with "all ADs" since the last annual last year. I guess though in some cases, an owner would not have to actually do the AD until 2009, and thus be in compliance for the current annual, sell the plane and tell the buyer quite correctly that aircraft is in compliance when the AD, and then, whammo, in 2009 the new owner has a huge expense to deal with.

Thanks for all comments

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth Smithy's Avatar
    Interesting to note in Australia you can operate in the private category on manufacturers recommendations.... If Lycoming say the SB only affects 180 hp engines then thats what you go by.....If you have a 200hp IO-360 A2B like mine its exempt..Kind of makes sense since if they built it they know about it and in the litigious times we live in they get sued when they are wrong.....

Mark Smith.
    VH-DYA.

crankshaft AD

I've been complying with that AD for the previous owner, and am due to comply this Nov. Though applicability is questionable in my IO-360, I take no chances of being caught in the grey area. I also have extra incentive to comply with the inspection... I have corrosion pitting. I want to make sure that it doesn't progress. Mine and my passengers safety depend on that crankshaft.
    I chewed through my restraints for this?

I went through a great deal of frustration with this AD last year, when my engine was overhauled. When the engine came back from overhaul, the new log books stated that the AD had been complied with. However, the inside of the crankshaft was open, with no plug, no paint and no "PID" stamped on the flange. I called the shop, and was told that the AD was not applicable to my plane, but he sent me the paint and plug, and agreed to reimburse me if I wanted to have it done anywayat a local shop.

The mechanic who reinstalled the engine called Lycoming and the FSDO and was told likewise that the AD was not applicable. Finally, I talked to the local engine shop, who also told me the same thing. The bottom line is - the plug was installed, without the paint or the stamp, and I will probably just have the inspection done in 4 years, and hopefully continue to comply every 5 years,until someone figures out what is going on.

It's not the end of the world, as far as I am concerned. I had the inspection done 3 years ago, before the overhaul, and it took 1 hour and $3 for a new plug, so it's not the biggest expense I'll face. It just amazes me that the FAA (We're not Happy unless You're not Happy) can issue such a thing, and have the manufacturer of the engine, Lycoming, their own people in the FSDO, two engine repair shops and a very good IA all disagree on the interpretation of the AD.

This thread started nearly a year ago and some confusion is evident regarding its applicability. However, it appears to me the FAA's 98-02-08 clearly states that my A23-24 requires crankshaft ID inspection every 5 years. See the "Regulatory Information" section:
    http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...e?OpenFrameSet SEARCH:98-02-08

I am hopeful that someone can provide clear evidence that the FAA agrees our crankshafts are exempt. Otherwise, the AD should be appropriately listed in the "Technical / Airworthiness Directives" of our website.

Hi there ! I made several phone calls on this A/D on my A23-24 with the IO360 200hp and the reason it does not apply is because the ID of the crankshaft is not the same as the 180 / 160 engines . The 200HP crank is much heaver and not an issue . All who have questions look up A/D check the critcal ID and the check your crank for the dimension and you will see why its not an issue . The A/D does apply to all Lycoming engines 160 H/P and above (with the correct ID of crank) . I brought this to there attention when the AD came out and there response was it did not apply because the dimension on the ID was not the same and I assume this is the story your getting today . I have attended several IA mettings with Bill O'Brien the man that writes the AD's and he says if you have a real problem with the FAA send it to him or his Boss and they will look at it ! His Boss says he needs at least two complaints and the complaint needs to be real . Dave AP-IA