for the last 25 years and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to
    find out if it would be worthwhile restoring this aircraft. I am in
    florida and the aircraft has the engine removed and stored in the
    garage while the rest of the plane is on the side of the house under
    an awning? Thanks for any help or direction as to where or what i
    should next do.
    Brett

-----------------------------------------
    This message was automatically imported from BAC-Mail or the Musketeer Mail list. Replies might not be seen by the original author.

What are you looking to do? Are you looking for a plane that you can own and fly, or are you thinking about fixing it up for resale? My first thought is that I would not think about putting on an engine that has sat for 25 years, so you're probably looking at a complete overhaul, that will run you upwards of $16,000. Then how bad are the airframe repairs, interior, instruments, avionics, etc., as well as what you paid. Add these things up,and look at the possible resale value. Depending on the model, you could be looking at a resale value from the mid $20s to the mid $50s.

Brett

Do you plan on working on this a/c yourself? If the airframe is in good shape and you do all the work yourself you might be ok. What model is it?

information needed?

"I have just purchased a beechcraft musketeer that has been in storage
    for the last 25 years and was wondering if anyone knew the best way to
    find out if it would be worthwhile restoring this aircraft. I am in
    florida and the aircraft has the engine removed and stored in the
    garage while the rest of the plane is on the side of the house under
    an awning? Thanks for any help or direction as to where or what i
    should next do.
    Brett"

Oh, boy! where does one start? Do a very thorough inspection of the
    airframe and start in on one end and work your way through. There are
    25 years of possible corrosion, animal, and insect damage to undue.
    Frozen and stuck parts, rotted parts. Airworthiness directives and
    service bullettins on the engine and airframe to catch up on. I would
    say, step one, join the type club beechaeroclub.org and ask Mike
    Rellihan (the guru) which end to start with. With the engine having
    stayed in a garage for 25 years, you might consider sending it to an
    engine shop for an inspection.

Joe

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:musketeermail-digest@yahoogroups.com
    mailto:musketeermail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

-----------------------------------------
    This message was automatically imported from BAC-Mail or the Musketeer Mail list. Replies might not be seen by the original author.

Hello,

I just completed a project just like that one last September. My 19A sat for 6 years. It had an O-320 that only had 1200 hours on it so I thought it might be a bargain at $10,000. Turns out that I had to replace all the gyros except the turn coordinator, the altimeter, the VSI etc. As I remember there were quite a few AD's that were not complied with in the 6 years. The carb was trashed and needed to be replaced as well as the starter (worked about 25 times). Since it was hangered there was little (but still some) corrosion issues which was nice. Oh yeah, all of the tires and tubes had to be replaced as well as the interior. While we (Michiana Aircraft Service and me) had the bird completely taken apart we also elected to replace the windows, the pitot hose and a whole host of other things including all of the radios.

I must stress that there are no "deals." If you want a $30,000 airplane, just buy one at that price. I ended up spending just under $30,000 for an aircraft that has a V-REF value of $20,000.

Don't get me wrong, I really love my mouse and it is probably the nicest one in the country (check out the pictures) and I know every inch of her but I payed for it.......even after my discounts with the guys at Michiana Aircraft who really gave me breaks on labor and parts prices.

I could have saved some money by not doing many of the things that I did (JPI engine monitor, RNAV etc. etc. etc.) and spent some of the money on fuel flying her...but here I am.

Anyway, good luck with what ever you decide but get someone who really knows airplanes to inspect it for you and give you realistic pricing to get her airworthy again.

Brian
    N6509T

Hello,

I just completed a project just like that one last September. My 19A sat for 6 years. It had an O-320 that only had 1200 hours on it so I thought it might be a bargain at $10,000. Turns out that I had to replace all the gyros except the turn coordinator, the altimeter, the VSI etc. As I remember there were quite a few AD's that were not complied with in the 6 years. The carb was trashed and needed to be replaced as well as the starter (worked about 25 times). Since it was hangered there was little (but still some) corrosion issues which was nice. Oh yeah, all of the tires and tubes had to be replaced as well as the interior. While we (Michiana Aircraft Service and me) had the bird completely taken apart we also elected to replace the windows, the pitot hose and a whole host of other things including all of the radios.

I must stress that there are no "deals." If you want a $30,000 airplane, just buy one at that price. I ended up spending just under $30,000 for an aircraft that has a V-REF value of $20,000.

Don't get me wrong, I really love my mouse and it is probably the nicest one in the country (check out the pictures) and I know every inch of her but I payed for it.......even after my discounts with the guys at Michiana Aircraft who really gave me breaks on labor and parts prices.

I could have saved some money by not doing many of the things that I did (JPI engine monitor, RNAV etc. etc. etc.) and spent some of the money on fuel flying her...but here I am.

Anyway, good luck with what ever you decide but get someone who really knows airplanes to inspect it for you and give you realistic pricing to get her airworthy again.

Brian
    N6509T