Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sundowners Around Statue of Liberty

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar

Sundowners Around Statue of Liberty

I will be circling the Statue of Liberty in New York harbor at 11:30am local time on Sunday November 29th.

This is just for the fun of it. Please join me.

Be sure to go to AOPA.org for the new flight rules along the Hudson River Exclusion.

Tom Corcoran
    C23
    N5162M
    781 843-4321

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Darn! One of my partners is taking 58L tomorrow. Looks like it's going to be a nice day.

(I had her reserved for today...until the wind gusts tore the terminal door out of my hand and broke the hinges!)

Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

timing ugh. I was flying over today. Nice tailwind! great vis. Have fun.

Sundowners Over Statue of Liberty

Reply to Steve Cote's inquiry,

Yes. I circled the Statue of Liberty exactly at 11:30 am with many other planes and helicopters. No other BAC types in the group

There was a hitch though. I had a VFR flight plan filed from 1B9 in Massachusetts to JFK. I closed it with JFK Tower as I passed Coney Island at 500 feet. The Tower acknowledged but did not actually close the flight plan (VFR). So, about 12:30 Margie got a phone call from Flight Service to tell her that I did not close the plan. She was relieved to find me alive when I got home about 3:30.

Tom Corcoran
    Braintree MA

ps I tested the system and it worked, Paul Shuch notified all NE members as a pop-up flying event.

FWIW you might want to consider filing a NASA form explaining how you thought your flight plan would be closed. It might be useful to someone else to learn the proper way to do this. Additionally it might come in handy and protect you if someone decides to file a formal complaint. These days NY can be touchy.

NASA form...excellent idea on so many counts. I'll second that great thought. All for one!
    Charlie Baumann
    Texas

Flight Levels Flight Levels
    KLHV, Piper Memorial Airport, Lock Haven PA
    Quote Originally Posted by CBaumann
    NASA form...excellent idea on so many counts.
    I wholeheartedly concur. If you don't have a NASA ASRS form handy, you can download one from my flight school website, http://AvSport.org. Follow the Instruction tab, scroll down to the bottom and click on Training Documents, and find it under the FAA/TSA/NASA Forms heading.

Safe skies,
    Paul
    H. Paul Shuch, CFII
    former BAC NE Regional Dir
    Chief Flight Instructor,
    AvSport of Lock Haven http://AvSport.org
    Evektor SportStar Max LSA, N66AV
    fly@AvSport.org

Sundowners Around Statue of Liberty

I filed the NASA form and will post anything eventful.
    I did not try to lay blame to the controller. It may not have been his fault and ATC is very good to forgive my errors without official action.

I did give suggestions:
    a) Make it easy for Tower to close VFR flight plans.
    b) Be clear to us, when we file flight plans, which telephone number would be most helpful to FSS.

I have only filed IFR (rather than VFR) for at least the past 15 years. I'll bet JFK Tower never gets that request from VFR.

FSS called the home number listed and said they thought it was my cell phone. I can not hear my cell phone (thankfully) while I am flying.

Tom Corcoran, Boston

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    I almost never file a VFR flight plan (although I nearly always use flight following).

On every occasion where I have filed, someone has dropped the ball: no sign of it when I ask to open; lost when I cross to another center; not closed when asked; or, more often, no longer in the system when I arrive.

Of course, the one time everything worked, I'm standing at Quakertown, PA, yakking with people when someone walks out and yells "Hey 58L, ya forgot to close!!"

Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

My understanding is that ATC does not close a VFR flight plan --- that happens only when a pilot calls Flight Service.

Did you get an "affirmative" response from the JFK controller that your flight plan was closed?

Larry
    N65503