Thread: Yes, we can....

Initial Climb Initial Climb
    EDMA - Augsburg, Southern Bavaria, Germany

Yes, we can....

As a new member and owner of a Sierra (D-EEPP) I first was a little bit jealous while scanning all these great flyins and BAC meetings in the US....an ME living Germany without such a great community...but I recently came across a fantastic airfield near the bavarian alps: Thannheim - EDMT.
    At this nice grass field we have every 2nd year a famous event called "Tannkosh" - more than 1300 GA flyers coming in with their flying machines, big airshow, great community.
    Some vid impressions from 2010:

The airport is privately owned by the Dolderer family (some may know Matthias Dolderer - Red Bull Air Race team). A friend of mine (owner of a C24R) called me and asked for a meeting at Thannheim as there was „Jazz at the airport“ on Friday evening and a very special sunrise flight the morning after. And so I jumped in my Beech, loaded all the camping equipment…and my wife of course J and headed over to EDTM. We spent a wonderful evening with brasilian jazz music talking about everything – not only flying. Next morning at 4.15 a.m (after only 3 hrs of sleep). we got a wakeup call, pilot briefing at 4.30 and finally takeoff from a dark and silent grass runway….together with 16 other aircraft: Piper Cubs, Decathlon, Piper PA 28, Microlights, Experimentals and a Texan T6….
    I had the chance to fly formation with the venerably Texan and with my fellow Beech friend.
    We headed to the highest mountain (Zugspitze) and enjoyed the sunrise. After a 2hrs flight all aircrew flew back to the airfield in a big formation through a commercial airport´s CTR nearby…including tower-flyby.
    After landing we were welcomed with a breakfast buffet on the grass runway… I will never forget that feeling.

Enjoy some impressions…

CIMG4419.jpgCIMG4427.jpgCIMG4434.jpgCIMG4439.jpgCIMG4443.jpgCIMG4447.jpgCIMG4448.jpgCIMG4460.jpgCIMG4462.jpg

Cheers Willy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by druide; 07-02-2012 at 11:53 AM.
    "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Beech B24R, 1975, s/n MC378, D-EEPP

Willy, looks like a great fly-in and a good time had by all. Hope you can make it to our big party at Oshkosh sometime!
    Gene McPherson

Hi Willy,

Looks like a great trip - nice job and some nice pictures to go with it... I'll have to try that plane camping thing some day...

Regards,
    Scott

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eufnae
    N63503 - 1982 Beech Sundowner
    Tin Mouse
    The Office

Herr Doktor!

Great report from "over there!" I really enjoyed the description of your early morning flight and the wonderful photos. Well done and thanks for sharing.
    All for one!
    Chris Linderman
    BAC Founding Member
    Sierra N5106M
    KSUN (Hailey, ID)

States visited by N5106M