Thread: Yes, we can....

Initial Climb Initial Climb
    EDMA - Augsburg, Southern Bavaria, Germany

Yes, we can....

As a new member and owner of a Sierra (D-EEPP) I first was a little bit jealous while scanning all these great flyins and BAC meetings in the US....an ME living Germany without such a great community...but I recently came across a fantastic airfield near the bavarian alps: Thannheim - EDMT.
    At this nice grass field we have every 2nd year a famous event called "Tannkosh" - more than 1300 GA flyers coming in with their flying machines, big airshow, great community.
    Some vid impressions from 2010:

The airport is privately owned by the Dolderer family (some may know Matthias Dolderer - Red Bull Air Race team). A friend of mine (owner of a C24R) called me and asked for a meeting at Thannheim as there was „Jazz at the airport“ on Friday evening and a very special sunrise flight the morning after. And so I jumped in my Beech, loaded all the camping equipment…and my wife of course J and headed over to EDTM. We spent a wonderful evening with brasilian jazz music talking about everything – not only flying. Next morning at 4.15 a.m (after only 3 hrs of sleep). we got a wakeup call, pilot briefing at 4.30 and finally takeoff from a dark and silent grass runway….together with 16 other aircraft: Piper Cubs, Decathlon, Piper PA 28, Microlights, Experimentals and a Texan T6….
    I had the chance to fly formation with the venerably Texan and with my fellow Beech friend.
    We headed to the highest mountain (Zugspitze) and enjoyed the sunrise. After a 2hrs flight all aircrew flew back to the airfield in a big formation through a commercial airport´s CTR nearby…including tower-flyby.
    After landing we were welcomed with a breakfast buffet on the grass runway… I will never forget that feeling.

Enjoy some impressions…

CIMG4419.jpgCIMG4427.jpgCIMG4434.jpgCIMG4439.jpgCIMG4443.jpgCIMG4447.jpgCIMG4448.jpgCIMG4460.jpgCIMG4462.jpg

Cheers Willy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by druide; 07-02-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Beech B24R, 1975, s/n MC378, D-EEPP

Willy, looks like a great fly-in and a good time had by all. Hope you can make it to our big party at Oshkosh sometime!
    Gene McPherson

Hi Willy,

Looks like a great trip - nice job and some nice pictures to go with it... I'll have to try that plane camping thing some day...

Regards,
    Scott

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eufnae
    N63503 - 1982 Beech Sundowner
    Tin Mouse
    The Office

Herr Doktor!

Great report from "over there!" I really enjoyed the description of your early morning flight and the wonderful photos. Well done and thanks for sharing.
    All for one!
    Chris Linderman
    BAC Founding Member & former President
    Sierra N5106M
    KSUN (Hailey, ID)

States visited by N5106M