Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sundowner nose shimmy

Bob,
    Do you mean aligned with the stem, or 180 degrees away from the stem?

There is a yellow stripe on most tubes. You either align the yellow stripe with the red dot on the tire or if no yellow stripe is present on the tube, line up the stem with the red dot on the tire. I called it a heavy mark, it is actually called a balance mark. I guess I should call it as the manufacturer states instead of my slang.

Thanks Bob.
    I was actually soliciting a second opinion on what I "thought" to be correct.
    What had me confused was the fact that modern car tires are the opposite. The red dot is, indeed, the "heavy" spot.

So, this is correct??
    Last edited by markweiss; 04-21-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Added pix

Back when I had a Sport the shimmy was terrible so $$ went to nose gear. Shimmy was still terrible. Landing felt like the problem was the NG. Put the plane on jacks and the damn right main had to be replaced.Check the mains really really good.

Main tire or main landing gear?

When up on jacks grab the main tire and muscle it around. The shaft that holds the gear on mine was worn. I shook it back and fourth and found the play.So it was go to the NG. After finding the right main sloppy and getting it replaced solved the shimmy.

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar
    Both my Musketeer and my Sundowner have had nose wheel shimmy/shaking. Both have been cured by shimming the nose gear properly. It's that peel-off thing. The repair lasted for about 2-3 years each time and then new shimming was necessary due to normal wear.

As Scott says, holding the nose off the runway as long as possible ends a shimmy-landing. I too have gotten sloppy and let the front tire down prematurely from time to time.

My A+P knows these planes well: Jim Casey, Casey Aviation, Mansfield Municipal Airport, Mansfield, Massachusetts, 508 339-9636

Tom Corcoran

If I understand this problem, the main gear has some movement (slop) in it. The easy fix is to replace the two jo bolts that run parallel to the wing spar, then add one or two front/rear jo bolts perpendicular to the spar. Weight on the gear, not on jacks.

Rap

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    When up on jacks grab the main tire and muscle it around. The shaft that holds the gear on mine was worn. I shook it back and fourth and found the play.So it was go to the NG. After finding the right main sloppy and getting it replaced solved the shimmy.

Rap McBurney
    N8786

Mark, it is correct. Red dot over the stem.

This could simply be the result of an aircraft that has been sitting a while. As most know, the weight is on the nose tire and it is the first to lose air and develope a flat spot. It may take several flights and warm temps to bring it back into round again. If the plane only flys 10-12 hours a year, a flat spot could easly develope. This could cause the shimmy.