Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2015

Preparing for Take-off Preparing for Take-off

Oshkosh 2015

Yes, I know it is nearly a year before Oshkosh 2015, but I was wondering if anyone is interested in (or already organized) a mass fly-in from Beech Aero Club? I know the Bonanzas do it and was hoping that we too might have the opportunity to fly-in and camp together.

H Edward Pruitt
    H Edward Pruitt

I am in. I am already planning vacation for next year and I am leaving Oshkosh week open.

Erick
    Erick Cyders
    N1223T
    Beech Sundowner Aerobat

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth Smithy's Avatar
    I'm hoping my new employer see's the benefit of me attending the worlds best GA showcase...If so I'd be happy to ride with someone into the event. I am formation endorsed ( Military standard) , and I'd enjoy "coaching" a fellow BAC member to hold station onto the airfield....It's 12 months away but I am making plans...

Now that I'm fully equipped for camping (tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and coffee maker), Oshkosh has a little more appeal to me. I may try to make it next year. I'd be interest in sharing a ride to help reduce the expense. It's 1260 nm from KCHD to KOSH. With the prevailing winds that's about 9 hours and change of flight time to get there and about 10.5 on the return flight. I calculate a conservative total fuel burn of 180 gallons/9gph block burn@ $6/gal = $1080 USD. About the same as a single air fare from KPHX to Madison, WI., where a car would have to be rented/hired. Essentially, you'd get to OSH and back to PHX for ~1/2 the airline price. Camping gear and luggage for a week would limit the Sierra to just two people, three if the other two would be sub-200 pounders and could pack light.
    Marty Vanover
    Oro Valley, Az.
    Sierra N65128

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

One of the questions I have to answer for my aircraft insurance each years is "Do you do any formation flying"? Seems like a mass fly=in is formation flying....or is it? Would participation in a mass fly-in be a problem if my insurance company found out. I guess I could call them. Do any of you know what the deal is?
    Mike Nielsen
    McCook, NE
    Sierra N9164S

I've never had to answer that type of question on my insurance application form. I've been with Aircraft and Marine Assurance for a long time. Give Norris or Viviane a call. Maybe they can help.
    Marty Vanover
    Oro Valley, Az.
    Sierra N65128

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

I checked on doing a mass fly-in to AirVenture a few years ago and was met with a cool reception. I can check again and see if that's changed. I believe you have to have some sort of training to do a mass fly-in to OSH, but I can check on that, too,

There are a few good airports around here to stage from. KUES (Waukesha, towered), KRYV (Watertown, untowered) are a couple.

Here is an excerpt from the Cessna group mass arrival this year. Note they mention a required clinic and briefing and it looks like FAA approval is also required. It may not be worth it for the number of aircraft we will probably have.

Cessnas to Oshkosh
    Arriving 2:30 p.m. Saturday, July 23

Describing AirVenture 2010 "a memorable year, to say the least," Cessnas to Oshkosh (C2Osh) is busy planning for its sixth mass arrival this year - its fourth year in collaboration with the Cessna Pilots Association. Upon arrival from Dodge County Airport (UNU) in Juneau, participants will enjoy a larger "footprint" for Cessna Base Camp 2011, with a bigger tent in the North 40. The annual barbecue dinner takes place on Sunday night, July 24, and breakfast is served daily at the base camp.

As many as 75 aircraft are approved by the FAA for the flight and at last count 57 had registered. This means there's some room for more pilots to participate, so click here for more information. Pilots must complete training in at least one formation clinic and be present at the final briefing on the day of the arrival. There are several formation flight training clinics left before Oshkosh, so click here for dates and locations.

C2Osh is also paying forward the good deed of B2Osh, which provided them with superior information and mentorship in 2006 - C2Osh's first mass arrival. C2Osh is collaborating with the Cherokees to Oshkosh, assisting in their training.
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

My experience with partially trained formation flying has not been great. One of our BACFest 2013 speakers was Kent Ewing, the person responsible for the Bonanza/Baron pilot training program and one of those that trains pilots for the Bonanza formation. I know that if there is interest he would discuss with us appropriate training.

Quote Originally Posted by mvanover View Post
    I've never had to answer that type of question on my insurance application form. I've been with Aircraft and Marine Assurance for a long time. Give Norris or Viviane a call. Maybe they can help.
    They're both supposed to be at BACFest 2014. You could ask them then.

I've never had a question like that either. I've also been with Aircraft & Marine for probably 10 years or so.
    Cloyd Van Hook
    Founder and First President of BAC

States visited (though not necessarily landed in) by N2393L (AKA Minnie), N9227S (AKA Annie) and N26TM (AKA Mary) while I've owned and flown the aforementioned aircraft.

Preparing for Take-off Preparing for Take-off
    I'm not sure if that would be considered formation or not. Perhaps we could all meet at a airport nearby and just fly in together in sequecnce. That way we could still all camp together. I'll look into it.

HEP
    H Edward Pruitt