Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Powered Towbar/Tug

Marty:
    How about pulling on the NLG with a winch tail first? I saw somewhere on the BAC postings where a guy had a hand tow bar that had an extra piece behind the nose wheel to which he attached a winch and pulled the AC backwards by the NLG. He had a handle on the "front" side that he used to steer and a deadman switch. I agree, the tail hook method is a setup for disaster.

Rap

Quote Originally Posted by mvanover View Post
    DO NOT attempt to pull the airplane in the hangar with a winch. Check your POH under Handling, Service & Maintenance. Mine has a CAUTION in Ground Handling to "..... not attempt to tow the airplane backwards by the tie-down ring." It is there for a very good reason, it is possible to permanently retire your airplane during such operations.

Rap McBurney
    N8786

Climbing to Cruise Climbing to Cruise
    My solution was the 'Nose-Dragger" tug, item 20059A, found on page 53 of the July Sporty's catalog. It required no mods to fit the plane. The electric model comes with maintenance free battery and self charger. It's their most expensive, but doesn't use an engine. Customer service from the small family-owned factory is excellent. I've misplaced my notes but I was able to deal directly with the factory and got a good price. The truck was able to deliver directly to the hangar. Well-constructed, controls in the handle, adaptable to any Baby Beech, and I will use it on the Sierra - when it arrives.

I have also wondered about using a garden tractor with some sort of custom tow bar to move the plane. Has anyone tried this?
    Mike Nielsen
    McCook, NE
    Sierra N9164S

There is a guy at my field that uses an older garden tractor with the mower deck removed to move his plane. Tow bar connects to the front of the tractor. I made a tow bar for my planes that hooks over the ball on a trailer hitch. It works real well for towing the plane around the airport and the fuselages back and forth to my work 1/2 mile away.
    John W. Palmer

'67 BE A23A N3681Q
    '70 C 150K N6272G

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

States in which I have landed

I would appreciate it if you would tell us how you made your tow bar, including how long.
    Mike Nielsen
    McCook, NE
    Sierra N9164S

Mike, a garden tractor 18 hp and up size works fine. If you put the hitch on the front it is easy to back in. If you are pulling nose first I would pull from the rear of the tractor, traction will be better. I have made several tow bars. I can show you some pictures at BACFest.

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser

That was Dan Kirby. I think it's still in his hangar. Joe would know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclerap View Post
    Marty:
    How about pulling on the NLG with a winch tail first? I saw somewhere on the BAC postings where a guy had a hand tow bar that had an extra piece behind the nose wheel to which he attached a winch and pulled the AC backwards by the NLG. He had a handle on the "front" side that he used to steer and a deadman switch. I agree, the tail hook method is a setup for disaster.

Rap
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

For my tow bar, I used two pieces of 1/2" rigid conduit (thick wall) about 10 feet long with a slight bend inward about 3' from the plane end. I used two short pieces of conduit to form the receivers for the nose bolt, or knee pin on the Musketeer. The other end is welded to a piece of 1" square tube that has the tee handle welded to it. That tube slides into a slightly larger piece of square tube that has the ring that drops over the ball on a hitch and is secured with a pin. I got cheap with securing the tow bar to the plane and just use a bungee cord. If you need, I can take a picture and post.
    John W. Palmer

'67 BE A23A N3681Q
    '70 C 150K N6272G

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

States in which I have landed

I found a used 24 volt electric tug used on ebay for $600 this unit usually sells for around $2200, you just have to keep looking. Latest acquisition was a lightly used Red Dragon 12 volt preheater for $78.00 you just need to be patient and you can save a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by FASTFRED View Post
    I purchased an aero-tow (Aero-Tow's E200) for my Sundowner about 6mos ago and have several friends in Alaska that use them and we are all pleased.
    fred

How much was it? I looked at their site: aero-tow.com and it didnt show a cost.