Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas 10K - Lunch at Noon - KANK - April 9th

Texas 10K - Lunch at Noon - KANK - April 9th

Texas 10K - Lunch at Noon - KANK

The South Central Region team has "gone off the reservation"! Come join in!

Meet at noon at the airport and we'll head to the Patio Pancake Place in Salida for the best breakfast/lunch in town. Your smiling host (Nelson 210-834-1991) will have his vehicle handy, or grab one of the two crew cars they have on-site. Scheduled for those planning just a day trip for our Texas 10K (see the BAC calendar). And you will have a free RON place to stay in case the weather gives us a hard time. Bring your airplane stories! Restaurant closes at 2:00 pm.

Tips for flying into the Salida, Co airport are attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Nelson Amen
    landed and supported local economy

Less than 3 weeks to go! Hope to see you there .....

Here is a good review (or intro) for all of us, so grab a soda, sit back and enjoy:

https://flash.aopa.org/asf/mountainF...tml/flash.cfm?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nelson Amen

THIS BAC EVENT HAS BEEN CHANGED TO APRIL 9TH - - - (NOW ONE WEEK EARLIER)

(is someone able to change the thread title??)

Sorry about any inconvenience ... A schedule change here in San Antonio, unfortunately due to a death in the family.

Still on a Saturday (only one week to go!). Hope to see you there.

The slopes (Monarch Mountain) are open until April 10th if any of you want to pack your skis. I usually can get about 5 runs in after 2:00 pm (lift lines are small and 1/2 day tickets are about $30). Plenty of room if you wish to RON. Just send a PM so I can have a spot for you.
    Nelson Amen

I went 1/3 of the way there this morning, looking at Tennessee Pass (the 10,424 pass to get through to go to Leadville). I was at 11,700 in absolutely blue sky morning. If next Saturday's weather is like today I'm looking at getting there. Out back in the warm afternoon may be another story...
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me to, so far.

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

Yes - - be on top of that density altitude. Dude.

Today's info for your pondering:
    - current forecast high is 64 deg for Saturday, April 9th
    - both Greg and I departed with temperatures in the mid 60's last trip up (after BACfest 2015). I was right at 200 lbs under gross. We both had wheels off during the first 3rd of the pavement, and Vy well established 1/2 way down the runway. Both of us have a 1976 (1977?) Sundowner 180's. Marty's performance duplicated ours ..... and then he retracted those wheels!
    - here's is the bigger issue - - - currently 40% chance of thunderstorms. These can quickly pop up anytime after 3:00 pm. Pack a RON kit!

Taxi safe, fly safe, stay in the W&B envelope,
    Nelson
    Nelson Amen

I am planning on being there. Weather permitting of course. Could drive if necessary.
    Dave Stevens
    N7994L Super Mouse

Hope you all can make it!! I departed from San Antonio yesterday and landed ANK at about 1:30 pm. One stop at Dumas for fuel and no issues with the weather. Some photos attached for fun:
    - a few wind beaters in West Texas
    - singing "Amarillo by Morning" at about 11:00 am
    - entering the mountain valley with about 45 minutes to go
    - left wing view about 15 minutes out and 12,500 to 13,000 on the altimeter
    - clearing the ridge before the Salida valley
    - obligatory wing shot upon arrival
    - looking for "Mr. crew car" (it started right up)
    - at the cabin

So ..... hoping to see some of you on Saturday .... or a few days before or after

Amen River House - 719-530-0603
    my cell (only if in town) - 210-834-1991
    or email/post since I come into town for coffee and internet each morning at McDonald's
    Nelson Amen

How were the winds going into Salida? We had 60mph winds here in Colorado Springs on the 5th. Saturday's forecast is for 10-29% chance of rain/snow late in the afternoon. Hopefully we can get the flight in and get home before that.
    Dave Stevens
    N7994L Super Mouse

Dave,

I came up a day early (on Monday) because of the forecast. Good call. Tuesday's winds were amazing here .... dude. This was the first time I ever felt "queezy" in the Sundowner .... while removing my portable gps WHILE IT WAS CHOCKED AND TIED DOWN on the ramp on Tuesday. Yes, I had to chase my cowboy hat ......

2 days to go - - - - hope to see some of you all here in Salida on Saturday.

Nelson
    Nelson Amen

I will be at the airport (aka - - airport bum) starting at 11:00 am tomorrow. I anyone wants to come earlier, just let me know.

Weather and winds should be not-great, but also not-bad. Actually, pretty good. We'll see how this very first ever TEXAS 10K works out ....... dude!

John - - my new flag is ready-to-go!
    Nelson Amen