Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Landing gear donuts.

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

Mud Mixer corded drill?

Quote Originally Posted by lombard View Post
    Marty and I had the manual Jo Bolt tool. Worked like a charm...just need a strong enough drill motor to break the stud at a nice slow rotation speed.
    DeWalt and their friends make what they call Mud Mixer drills.

These are usually high torque low rpm drills designed for a drywall mud mixer paddle to mix drywall mud.

Usually the drills draw about 9 amps and run about 550 rpm.

Mud Mixer Paddle 14736-Advance Mud Pan Mixer.jpg
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by maxmason View Post
    I haven't used any of these special fasteners, so I know little with certainty about them. They seem to provide another alternative to Jo-bolts or the other way around. They all have been around a long time, so proven in service. The special tools bug me as in expensive.
    Normally about fasteners besides ease of use I am interested in their strength. They have to do the job on an airplane!
    All comments here are educational from my view.
    While I can't quote and specifics on shear and tension strength. The Jo-Bolt is a pretty strong fastener. Maybe the strongest of the blind fasteners. I probably have installed a couple of thousand, maybe more in the 19 months I worked at McDonnell Aircraft Corp. They were used on the exterior of F-4 Phantom intake ducts that I built after I graduated from High School (I started that job on 6-6-66). I probably shaved a few thousand more than I installed. Early on, the countersunk Jo-Bolt had a protruding hex head. That way you only needed one tool for each sized Jo-Bolt, whether a flush or protruding head fastener. We used micro-shavers to make a flush surface. Some years later, they developed the flush Jo-Bolt that required a special tool head to pull. Jo-Bolts were the only reliable blind fastener we could use. After the intake ducts were closed up, the Navy inspectors would have us roll the ducts in a tool/jig (depending on your terminology) to listen for parts and debris inside the ducts. The whole building had to go to quiet mode for this. It was a big effort to "un-button" a panel to remove the debris. Cherry-Lock rivets proved to be too unreliable in the beginning, due to the mechanics usage variation and wear of the pulling tools. Cherry-Max rivets had yet to be developed. So they switched to the Jo-Bolt to save production rework time. Dunno why that was so important, I was only making $2.46/hr then. Perhaps the unit production slowed too much and the affected the units/month delivery guarantee.
    Marty Vanover
    Tucson, Az.

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

Jo-Bolts are better.

Quote Originally Posted by mvanover View Post
    Dunno why that was so important, I was only making $2.46/hr then. Perhaps the unit production slowed too much and the affected the units/month delivery guarantee.
    I figure that works out to about $450 per month. I think I was doing a bit better than that about then hauling drywall.

The problem was that about all you learn doing that is you do not want to.

Jo-Bolts are better, but hauling drywall can be a learning experience as well.
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789