Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2020

This one has got me thinking. I had such a great time with Bob in ‘14 and I wouldn’t need too much convincing to go again.
    Hmmmmmmm,........
    Mark
    In Oz

Where I have landed a Beech

(Plus, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom)

Interested also, but don't know if 2020 is the year.

One issue for me is I would have to upgrade my medical back to a Class III. Currently flying as Basic Med. Last I heard, Canada does not recognize Basic Med for a medical certificate.
    Doug Faucette
    N60003 - C23

Quote Originally Posted by markweiss View Post
    This one has got me thinking. I had such a great time with Bob in ‘14 and I wouldn’t need too much convincing to go again.
    Hmmmmmmm,........

I'm pondering doing this one again as well...

I've done it twice and the trips were as different as night and day. First one was HOT and the second one was WET, among other things, but both were awesome!

I'm no expert, but a couple of things to think about (there are lots more!). How are you going to fly together? Both times I've only had one other airplane to worry about. The first time we wandered around looking at interesting things and we could be up to ten miles apart. The second trip, Marty stayed tucked up pretty close to me all the time, so no worries about where he was. You might want ot think about multiple flights of two, depending on how you decide to fly. W ewatched an Air Journeys fight come in to Watson Lake, and they had two flights of about nine airplanes flying in trail. Didn't seem like that much fun to me.

We also had hard and fast rules about hte flights. Day VFR only, and if any one had concerns about flying a leg, we didn't fly. It happened once on the first trip and was a very good call. The other airplane had concerns about weather after engine start, so we shut down and went back to the hotel. The next morning we saw an RV-6 that had taken off just before we cancelled. He hit bad weather and had to turn around and come back.

The first trip we crossed from Cut Bank to Leithbidge because that was a suggested route in the Alaska Airman's Logbook. The second time we went direct to Fort Nelson as it's all flat prairie until you get there.

Coming back the second trip, we crossed at Peace Garden North Dakota. One end of the runway is in Canada, the other in the USA. Both customs are there and their main duty is to highway traffic. You have to go down to the office and ask them to come up to clear you. I screwed up our arrival time because of a time zone error on my part. I managed to call them on my cell from the air to tell them and they said "no problem, we'll see you whenever you get here!" Try that at an airport customs office!
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

A couple of videos from the 2014 trip:

We ate well, even if the weather was bad.
    https://youtu.be/0D44POKh0o0

They had to rescue us from flooding in the Fairbanks shelter.

I previously posted the wrong video. Here is the one I meant:
    https://youtu.be/IamGYXFCNUo

And here is the wrong one.

https://youtu.be/i9GLTy82llo
    Last edited by rgschmi; 08-09-2019 at 11:12 PM.

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

I remember that day, the weather was crappy but the steak was amazing!
    Mark
    In Oz

Bob is right, we will have to have some rules on how we fly together. I watched I training video on formation flying and the first thing they said was don't attempt a formation flight to a destination. Some separation will be required.

The weather will be the luck of the draw. But June has the best averages when the snow stops. July and August have more rainy days. In June it still averages rain 1 in 3days. The following is for Fairbanks. When I cut and pasted the matrix it messed the columns up , but just count the spaces. There is more sunshine in June than any other month.

Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun
    Average high in °F: 1 10 25 44 61 72
    Average low in °F: -17 -13 -3 21 38 49
    Av. precipitation in: 0.59 0.43 0.24 0.31 0.59 1.38
    Daysprecipitation: 9 7 7 4 8 11
    Hours of sunshine: 54 120 224 302 319 334
    Average snowfall in : 10 8 5 3 1 0

Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    Average high in °F: 73 66 55 32 11 5
    Average low in °F: 52 46 35 17 -6 -13
    Av. precipitation in : 2.17 1.89 1.1 0.83 0.67 0.63
    Days precipitation: 13 15 10 11 9 8
    Hours of sunshine: 274 164 122 85 71 36
    Last edited by WeiserDenisP; 08-09-2019 at 09:36 PM.

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser

We didn’t fly a true formation, just a (more or less) visual reference. More when Marty had the controls, less when John did!
    Mark
    In Oz

Flying formation (loose) with a Sierra and a Sundowner wasn't a big deal. The Sundowner can't be at an economy power setting or the Sierra will run out of oil. But with the Sundowner set for 75% and best power at 6,500 ft, it will do 112 KTAS (119 KTAS after the Vanover/Weiss rigging ritual). If you use 2375 rpm and 20-22" MAP, you will be close to the same speed and still make enough BMEP to keep the rings sealed. The Sundowner will be burning 10.5 gph to your 6.0 gph, but that didn't seem to be a problem ....... for me. Keep the formation loose, but don't loose sight as it can be hard to fine each other again. I found that ATC (at least in the States) gets a little nervous when you're flying close enough there is only one return on their scope. So try to stay at least 10 feet apart.
    Marty Vanover
    Tucson, Az.

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.

Both our trips were the last two weeks in June as we wanted to experience the long days. I posted video of the wet trip above and the hot one in on my web site.

You must understand I built it over ten years ago for my own use, so it's not very pretty.

nuinet.dnsalias.com/Alaska Caps required as it's running linux on a raspberry pi.

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

Couldn't open the link Bob.

Update:

OK, I cut and pasted "nuinet.dnsalias.com".
    Last edited by mvanover; 08-09-2019 at 11:01 PM.
    Marty Vanover
    Tucson, Az.

Where "Sandy Beech" has landed.