Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2020

Not me, this guy has too much hair. I can use my the top of my head for an emergency signal mirror.

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser

Get the radio station license and customs sticker $25. Nav Canada will bill you for landing in there airspace and don't forget required survival equipment in Alaska. ALASKA STATUTES Sec. 02.35.110. Emergency rations and equipment.
    An airman may not make a flight inside the state with an aircraft unless emergency equipment is carried as follows:
    (1) the following minimum equipment must be carried during the summer months:

• (A) rations for each occupant sufficient to sustain life for one week;
    • (B) one axe or hatchet;
    • (C) one first aid kit;
    • (D) an assortment of tackle such as hooks, flies, lines, and sinkers;
    • (E) one knife;
    • (F) fire starter;
    • (G) one mosquito headnet for each occupant;
    • (H) two small signaling devices such as colored smoke bombs, railroad fuses, or Very pistol shells, in sealed metal containers;
    Last edited by Bill B; 03-15-2020 at 05:02 AM.

PPL and Owner since 1996

Orbiting Earth Left the Solar System rgschmi's Avatar
    Canada also has survival requirements. I've never been physically checked, but I have been asked if I have it aboard. A big jar of peanut butter is about as dense a calorie source as I could find. I think Canada requires 10,000 calories per person. I thought Alaska had relaxed their requirements, but maybe not.

On the last trip. we went light on the survival equipment as there were two aircraft and figured it would be a rescue operation, not a search, and barring bad weather, etc. a fairly quick rescue. On the first trip, we had the gill nets, axe, snare wire, etc. that was required at that time. For the conspicuity panel, I bought a plastic tarp that doubled as the tent ground cloth. Of course I bought orange and found out later that's a bad color!

If you are camping, you will have most of what they require anyway.
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

Orbiting Earth Left the Solar System trumpet nelson's Avatar
    Bill B,

In my opinion, the most critical? "G" …. they cost about $5

During one day trip on the Kenai, I had my fellow adventurer offer me $300 for mine. Nope! And pass me the 100% deet bottle !!
    Nelson Amen
    landed and supported local economy

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

heat net - yes

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet nelson View Post
    Bill B,

In my opinion, the most critical? "G" …. they cost about $5

During one day trip on the Kenai, I had my fellow adventurer offer me $300 for mine. Nope! And pass me the 100% deet bottle !!
    I agree re the headnet - those "no seeums" will kill, but very slowly. They make going down in the winter seem preferable.

A headnet does not have the sex appeal of an elephant gun, but is guaranteed to be put to use.
    1969 Musketeer 19A Sport III
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

I am going to remove this trip from the calendar. Novid-19 isn’t going away by the middle of June. For me one of the highlights of the trip was to fly above the Arctic circle and land at some airfields. I wouldn’t risk taking this virus to the people that live there.

So, maybe next year.

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser

Orbiting Earth Left the Solar System rgschmi's Avatar
    Sorry to hear that, but better safe than sorry. I think it was the right decision, and now you have another whole year to plan and anticipate!
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

I, too, am sorry you will have to put this dream trip back in the bucket. General aviation has all but died. I ran into our FBO owner at Walmart the other day and he said they had fueled only 1 general aviation plane in the last two weeks. The only fuel he has sold has been to the regional airline, UPS plane and air ambulance. It has been much more quiet at the airport than it was before the virus.
    Mike Nielsen
    McCook, NE
    Sierra N9164S

There is an upside to the postponement for me. This is a trip I would very much like to do, but I wasn't ready to make it this year. So, when it it rescheduled....

And it's slow here, too. Martin State is a joint use civilian and military airport. There are several flight schools, and because of the relatively long runway the airport is popular with the bizjet crowd. Before we were banned from public areas, I listened to the 135 pilots talking about the incredible level of business as wealthy parents were chartering flights to get their kids home from college.

I was at the airport yesterday for several hours. I did not fly. I saw only one aircraft movement, a 172 was lining up for takeoff as I was driving home. It was reminiscent of the time post 9/11.
    Les Gawlik

N6008L M-2087
    Martin State Airport (KMTN), Baltimore, Maryland

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

sorry I will not see you this year

Next year is the right decision but just the same, I am sorry not to be seeing you this year.

We will still be here next year; hopefully the snow will be gone by June 2021; this year, I am starting to wonder.

This jpg is February of last year, but for this year, add about two more feet of snow.

Our runway and the taxiway is clear; the County does a good job of that and the fuel tanks are full and the pumps working.

H8 Exterior West with snow plowed in front Feb 2019 -30C b.jpg
    1969 Musketeer 19A Sport III
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada