Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homestead Resort, VA (KHSP) 12/14

Homestead Resort, VA (KHSP) 12/14

Fly in to the highest elevation airport east of the Mississippi. Hot Springs airport has an elevation of 3793 feet as it is perched on the top of a mountain in the Allegheny Mountains. Alan White will meet you there and shuttle you down to the famous 5-Star Homestead Resort where we will have a chance to take in the Christmas decorations and have lunch at the Jefferson Restaurant in the resort. As much as you love them, don't wear your Beech-Bum T-Shirts because you're going to need a collared shirt to dine here and bring some money. It's not overly expensive but it's not cheap either. Weather is a huge factor in this fly-in. Please sign up on the Forum posting if you plan to attend and pay close attention for cancellation notices. Not only will normal weather cancel this, but because it's at such a high elevation, a 4,000 ft ceiling would cancel as well and we haven't even talked about winds yet! If it's a pretty day, there's no place as spectacular to fly into than Hot Springs but it's got to be a pretty day. Check out the Homestead at
    https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...MKHU1tA1wYABAA GgJxbg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAESQOD2gwGOIBojh7-6melqQ5OmeKMDSg9wlK_z9SUYNt6F861zMUPc9bcOXmZLPpL1i uL-tHyze53IjOChmGmgFek&sig=AOD64_2ozzT6M64d6ntuV4E1KZ M7uKJ4Hw&q=&ved=2ahUKEwjx28ew0oDmAhVFmuAKHYjRAQoQ0 Qx6BAgREAE&adurl=

I wish we could attend. Already have a busy day on the calendar. Wreaths at the Delaware Veterans cemetery then a local Christmas party.
    Gary Mascelli
    N453TC - 1976 Commander 112A

Flight Journal
    My YouTube

Damn - I would drive over but I just registered and paid for my Paramedic refresher that weekend.
    -=-
    Mark

Alan, you had me at Fly In

John Persinger
    Beech Aero Club President
    N18990

I'd love to go, but that evening I'm having a Christmas party so my day is spoken for.
    Les Gawlik

N6008L M-2087
    Martin State Airport (KMTN), Baltimore, Maryland

Would the following day, Sunday, work better?

Quote Originally Posted by GMascelli View Post
    I wish we could attend. Already have a busy day on the calendar. Wreaths at the Delaware Veterans cemetery then a local Christmas party.

Would the following day, Sunday, work better?

Quote Originally Posted by mgooderum View Post
    Damn - I would drive over but I just registered and paid for my Paramedic refresher that weekend.
    -=-
    Mark

I am going to have to reschedule this (which seems to be in order anyway) as I have to go to a memorial service this weekend in NC

Steffi and I would love to fly up but our EAA Christmas Dinner is that night
    Fred (fastfred) Culleton
    N6703P-Sierra C24R
    Flowery Branch, Ga
    KLZU Home Base

That airport is like landing in the Sky. I had to use it for a retreat on a flight up to Cumberland. Hot Springs(Ingles field) was above the cloud tops. When I finally took off, I had to descend to get to the airport I was flying to... no climbing necessary.

The automated weather system is located at the far North East corner of the field and the reported ceilings are always reported lower than actual. They admit that is located in the wrong location for the airport. So dont give up on landing there if the ceilings are reported low, just make sure you have an alternate if you get there and they actually are low.

I would take my co-pilot to this fly-in but we are headed to the Christmas markets in Germany that Saturday.

I would be interested in another date.
    Last edited by cmmguy; 12-02-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    J Jones MC-366 N9372S