Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Gauge cluster issue

  1. #1

    Gauge cluster issue

    Hello again Folks,

    Well, I went out to the plane yesterday and took a look at the back of
    the fuel/oil temp gauge cluster (T/S apparent ground problem). I did
    not see anything corroded or loose on the back of the gauges. I did
    notice a small tab that was attached to (what I think was) the ground
    terminal on each of the gauges. On two of the gauges this tab was not
    touching anything (except the post it was attached to). On the other
    two, the tab was held against what looked like a rivet in the cluster
    housing. What do these tabs do for us? My first impulse was to open
    the two that were touching the case, but thought I would ask first.

    Thanks in advance

    Gary
    Sport 12K MB-901



    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
    Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUI...LSAA/SyTolB/TM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

    www.beechaeroclub.org


    Yahoo! Groups Links

    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  2. #2

    Gauge cluster issue

    You won't see anything, as the connections build resistance over 30-
    40 years. I brought my right tank gauge back to life by simply
    removing the wires, using a bit of Scotch-Brite on them and the
    studs, then re-assembling. Be aware that properly, this is NOT in
    the list of what 43.13 allows as owner-approved maintenance.

    The "rivets" are the tail ends of the light bulbs that illuminate
    the cluster at night.

    Bob
    A&P, Aero Eng, '74 Sport
    --- In musketeermail@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hanchett <vze2872z@c...>
    wrote:
    >
    > Hello again Folks,
    >
    > Well, I went out to the plane yesterday and took a look at the
    back of
    > the fuel/oil temp gauge cluster (T/S apparent ground problem). I
    did
    > not see anything corroded or loose on the back of the gauges. I
    did
    > notice a small tab that was attached to (what I think was) the
    ground
    > terminal on each of the gauges. On two of the gauges this tab was
    not
    > touching anything (except the post it was attached to). On the
    other
    > two, the tab was held against what looked like a rivet in the
    cluster
    > housing. What do these tabs do for us? My first impulse was to
    open
    > the two that were touching the case, but thought I would ask first.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Gary
    > Sport 12K MB-901
    >






    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
    Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUI...LSAA/SyTolB/TM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

    www.beechaeroclub.org


    Yahoo! Groups Links

    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  3. #3

    Gauge cluster issue

    Thanks Bob,

    I did take a 2nd look at the panel with a better light and did notice
    that they were bulbs not rivets. I pretty much figured that
    disconnecting electrical stuff was not an owner/operator task. That is
    why it is looky no touchy. I just thought if a saw something obvious I
    could point it out to my a&p and save a little time. I won't take
    anything apart, even if it is "legal" for me to, unless somebody
    knowledgeable shows me how first. My annual is about a month a way and
    I have added "cleaning connections" to the growing hit list. Are these
    bulbs available from A/C spruce, or are they a high priced Raytheon
    exclusive ?

    Gary
    Sport MB901


    On Nov 18, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Bob Swaim wrote:

    > You won't see anything, as the connections build resistance over 30-
    > 40 years. I brought my right tank gauge back to life by simply
    > removing the wires, using a bit of Scotch-Brite on them and the
    > studs, then re-assembling. Be aware that properly, this is NOT in
    > the list of what 43.13 allows as owner-approved maintenance.
    >
    > The "rivets" are the tail ends of the light bulbs that illuminate
    > the cluster at night.
    >
    > Bob
    > A&P, Aero Eng, '74 Sport
    > --- In musketeermail@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hanchett <vze2872z@c...>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> Hello again Folks,
    >>
    >> Well, I went out to the plane yesterday and took a look at the
    > back of
    >> the fuel/oil temp gauge cluster (T/S apparent ground problem). I
    > did
    >> not see anything corroded or loose on the back of the gauges. I
    > did
    >> notice a small tab that was attached to (what I think was) the
    > ground
    >> terminal on each of the gauges. On two of the gauges this tab was
    > not
    >> touching anything (except the post it was attached to). On the
    > other
    >> two, the tab was held against what looked like a rivet in the
    > cluster
    >> housing. What do these tabs do for us? My first impulse was to
    > open
    >> the two that were touching the case, but thought I would ask first.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>
    >> Gary
    >> Sport 12K MB-901
    >>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer
    > series!
    >
    > www.beechaeroclub.org
    >
    >
    > Yahoo! Groups Links
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >



    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
    1.2 million kids a year are victims of human trafficking. Stop slavery.
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izN...LSAA/SyTolB/TM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

    www.beechaeroclub.org


    Yahoo! Groups Links

    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

  4. #4

    Gauge cluster issue

    Gary
    A lot of owners find that doing the annual with a mechanic is a
    pretty fun thing (provided you're not freezing or some such thing).
    While you have it opened up, take the opportunity to spray
    everything in sight with ACF-50 or some other corrosion fighter.
    It's good for a bit over a year unless washed.

    Most mechanics keep a stock of regular bulbs and your guy probably
    has these, but it's good to ask beforehand.

    Bob

    --- In musketeermail@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hanchett <vze2872z@c...>
    wrote:
    >
    > Thanks Bob,
    >
    > I did take a 2nd look at the panel with a better light and did
    notice
    > that they were bulbs not rivets. I pretty much figured that
    > disconnecting electrical stuff was not an owner/operator task.
    That is
    > why it is looky no touchy. I just thought if a saw something
    obvious I
    > could point it out to my a&p and save a little time. I won't take
    > anything apart, even if it is "legal" for me to, unless somebody
    > knowledgeable shows me how first. My annual is about a month a
    way and
    > I have added "cleaning connections" to the growing hit list. Are
    these
    > bulbs available from A/C spruce, or are they a high priced
    Raytheon
    > exclusive ?
    >
    > Gary
    > Sport MB901
    >
    >
    > On Nov 18, 2005, at 9:00 AM, Bob Swaim wrote:
    >
    > > You won't see anything, as the connections build resistance over
    30-
    > > 40 years. I brought my right tank gauge back to life by simply
    > > removing the wires, using a bit of Scotch-Brite on them and the
    > > studs, then re-assembling. Be aware that properly, this is NOT
    in
    > > the list of what 43.13 allows as owner-approved maintenance.
    > >
    > > The "rivets" are the tail ends of the light bulbs that illuminate
    > > the cluster at night.
    > >
    > > Bob
    > > A&P, Aero Eng, '74 Sport
    > > --- In musketeermail@yahoogroups.com, Gary Hanchett
    <vze2872z@c...>
    > > wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hello again Folks,
    > >>
    > >> Well, I went out to the plane yesterday and took a look at the
    > > back of
    > >> the fuel/oil temp gauge cluster (T/S apparent ground problem).
    I
    > > did
    > >> not see anything corroded or loose on the back of the gauges. I
    > > did
    > >> notice a small tab that was attached to (what I think was) the
    > > ground
    > >> terminal on each of the gauges. On two of the gauges this tab
    was
    > > not
    > >> touching anything (except the post it was attached to). On the
    > > other
    > >> two, the tab was held against what looked like a rivet in the
    > > cluster
    > >> housing. What do these tabs do for us? My first impulse was
    to
    > > open
    > >> the two that were touching the case, but thought I would ask
    first.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance
    > >>
    > >> Gary
    > >> Sport 12K MB-901
    > >>
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the
    Musketeer
    > > series!
    > >
    > > www.beechaeroclub.org
    > >
    > >
    > > Yahoo! Groups Links
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    >







    ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
    1.2 million kids a year are victims of human trafficking. Stop slavery.
    http://us.click.yahoo.com/WpTY2A/izN...LSAA/SyTolB/TM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------~->

    Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

    www.beechaeroclub.org


    Yahoo! Groups Links

    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Similar Threads

  1. Gauge cluster issue
    By 20122012 in forum BAC Mail Archive - DO NOT POST HERE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2005, 09:17 AM
  2. Gauge cluster - big headache
    By cmacc in forum Musketeer-Mail Archive
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 03:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO