Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Grass Strips by State

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

Taildragger strips

Here in Alberta, the provincial Alberta Aviation Council publishes a list of all landing spots in the province and updates every three to four years. New ones when printed are mailed out to members.

Per the png, the colour map of the province is about six feet high and there is a booklet that goes with it that details each strip.

The big deal is that it has all the taildragger forestry and farm strips as well.

https://www.albertaaviationcouncil.com/publications

Alberta Aviation Council 2018 Laminated Map.PNGAlberta Aviation Council 2018 Booklet.PNG
    1969 Musketeer 19A Sport III
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by corcoran View Post
    Guy's name is Steve Johnson. He did not claim authorship but did distribute it openly.
    OK, that makes me feel better. I'm going to put a watermark on it so others can't take credit for it. I don't care who has it but I just don't want someone else taking credit for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bbyer View Post
    Here in Alberta, the provincial Alberta Aviation Council publishes a list of all landing spots in the province and updates every three to four years. New ones when printed are mailed out to members.

Per the png, the colour map of the province is about six feet high and there is a booklet that goes with it that details each strip.

The big deal is that it has all the taildragger forestry and farm strips as well.

https://www.albertaaviationcouncil.com/publications

Alberta Aviation Council 2018 Laminated Map.PNGAlberta Aviation Council 2018 Booklet.PNG
    Wow! That's great. I wish we had something like that!

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto bbyer's Avatar

Watermark location

Quote Originally Posted by drwhite View Post
    OK, that makes me feel better. I'm going to put a watermark on it so others can't take credit for it. I don't care who has it but I just don't want someone else taking credit for it!
    The Watermark is a good idea but might I suggest something more like a footnote - that is fine print running up and down the vertical margins left and right sides of the paper.

That way it can be legible but in no way obtrusive. You have put alot of work into the airstrip listing and I presume intend to update it on occasion. As such, a watermark that also includes revision dates is something that would be welcomed and referred to.
    1969 Musketeer 19A Sport III
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

Quote Originally Posted by corcoran View Post
    One of the local pilots from Mansfield, Massachusetts assembled this list of grass runways.
    It is sort-able by state.
    I see some omissions but many BAC members might find it useful.

In Massachsuetts I would add Myrics in Berkley, Tradewind on Martha's Vineyard, KTAN in Taunton, and others that I will eventually think of.
    Myricks (1M is in the spreadsheet. KTAN is 1900' and didn't meet my minimums of 2000' and Tradewind is Private Use and this was public use airports only.

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto corcoran's Avatar
    Tradewind is a funky grass airport on the popular island of Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts.
    It is pretty much open to anyone who gets permission. It is one of 3 airports on The Vineyard; KMVY, 1B1 Katama and Tradewind.

http://mvlandbank.com/Landing_at_Trade_Wind.shtml

In the old days you had to pass a landing-inquiry administered by Carolyn the airport manager. She wanted to see your logbook. If you only landed on long runways you didn't get to use Tradewind. 2,200' with tall trees at each end.

Thread drift: Today marks exactly 30 years of having a pilot certificate. Got it on July 7, 1990 one hour before my oldest son got his.

Tom Corcoran
    Last edited by corcoran; Today at 06:30 AM.

Orbiting Earth Left the Solar System rgschmi's Avatar
    I'm up for a copy of the airports that allow camping.

Quote Originally Posted by drwhite View Post
    Would you like one of every airport that allows camping? Some pilot in Mansfield is probably sharing that one too!
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

Orbiting Earth Heading to Pluto FASTFRED's Avatar
    TC. Congratulations!!
    Believe my first ticket was November 1969
    Fred (fastfred) Culleton
    N6703P-Sierra C24R
    Flowery Branch, Ga
    KLZU Home Base

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12