>The glareshield I bought is the original fiberglass, with padding
>and recent FAA approved cover. Looks good, but the problem is the
>fiberglass underneath is cracked pretty good in a few spots. Looks
>like the cover is basically holding it together. Before I use this
>I wanted to reinforce the cracked area of the glareshield. I was
>just going to go to the hobby store and get some glass and resin and
>do some layups where the cracks are underneath. Also, the padding
>and fabric are covering the air slots that would be over the radio
>stack. I was thinking of getting a few of those little round vent
>things you see in the Spruce catalog and cut holse for those. My
>glareshield has 3 little vents like these.
>I assume this is something I can legally do? Any other ideas

Part 43 Appendix A subparagraph (c) lists the items that an owner/pilot can
do and make his own log entry and sign off for return to service.

Interior upholstery is one of the items on the list.

Standard repair for fiberglass is to sand the damaged area back at the rate
of one inch per ply, and then lay up the same number of plys removed, plus one.

This also assumes you use the same resin and glass as the OEM.

I see no reason why on a non-structural part of the interior you could not
do this repair yourself and add more vents over the radio stack, etc.

Bob Steward, A&P IA
Birmingham, AL

------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to: