Bob,

I just bought a Sierra. I have been looking for an airplane since last March when I found I was going to return to the USA. I wasn't sure what I wanted, but I got lots of American/Grumman time and really wanted a Tiger. I couldn't afford much, so I got a partner. He wanted a Mooney or Bonanza. Although both great airplanes in their own right, it was over kill for me. So we decided to buy the most bang for our buck and I embarked on a Six-Sigma project to select the right airplane. Initially we were three, then one partner found out he was pregnant and backed out. We used the criterion of performance (range & cruise speed), comfort, visibility, payload and price. The Sierra turned out to be the best value. Remember, neither me or my partner ever flew a Sierra until after we decided on the airplane.

Yesterday I tallyed up the asking price in T-a-P and the average price for the 8 Tigers listed there was 71,900. That is a bit more than we paid for the Sierra. So, what did we get compaired to the Tiger? Just about the same airplane for less money. The Sierra has about the same visibility, handles about the same, burns less fuel, carries about the same load, cruises about the same speed, has better range (bigger tanks). Yes, there is the increased cost for the flip flop gear in insurance and maintenance. But not that much.

I also compared the Sierra with the Mooney, Arrow, Cardnial RG, Commander 112, Skylane and the Cherokee 235. Except for the Sierra's low cruise numbers (130-135 kts depending on power setting) they all compared very well, although a couple had strong points. The Sierra won out in visibility, economy, and comfort (44 inches across at the elbow and three big doors). I think it out handles the rest too, and I have flown all of them except I only flew the fixed gear version of the Cardinal.

I doubt you will get an un-biased opinion on any of the Baby Beeches on this forum, but I tried to take the emotion out of my selection and let my Texas Instrument make the selection. After flying the Sierra, I am excited to have another airplane again and very happy with the Sierra. It meets my requirements and I think it has a bit of pizazz, which we didn't have as a criterion for the selection process. Personally, I think the Sierra's easy entry and wide cabin will become very popular with us baby boomers.

If you ever get down to the Southwest, I'd be happy to give you some stick time in our Sierra.

Marty Vanover
Phoenix, Az.

Robert Gresli <FlyBE77@comcast.net> wrote:
Musketeer Group,

I got to see a Beech Sierra for the first time today. I just looked at it on the ramp and didn't get to sit inside. The Sierra looks very big. It seems to dwarf the Commanche that was parked next to it.

I was curious what typical performance figures you get in the Sierra. Speed, Range, Climb, Payload.

It looks like a well built airplane. It was interesting that it had a rivetted wing unlike the bonded wings on my Skipper and my old Grumman.

Is the Sierra very responsive like a Grumman or more truck-like (aka Cherokee)?

Thanks for the info.

Bob Gresli
Skipper 6636E
Hillsboro OR (HIO)

BTW. I'm just curious, and not on the market.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

SPONSORED LINKS
Aviation school Aviation training Aviation training school Aviation training schools Aviation training academy

---------------------------------
YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

Visit your group "musketeermail" on the web.

To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Mail
Bring photos to life! New PhotoMail makes sharing a breeze.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/