Thread: A&P Near Athens, GA

A&P Near Athens, GA

I am considering purchasing a Sierra in Athens, Georgia. Does anyone have a recommendation for an A&P in the area for the pre-buy inspection? I may be able to take my A&P there, but he is not too keen on the idea. If I can find someone nearby, that would work better.

Carl Foster Sundowner 9761L Tucson, AZ

mike at rellihan.com

A&P Near Athens, GA

Chad Moser is the A&P-IA who performs my Sierra's Annual Inspections (and has done so since 2001). I have worked with him each of those years, doing the Annual on my Sierra, a Bonanza, a Mooney, and the Glasair III that I built. Chad is very knowledgeable, very skilled, and sensibly priced. I can recommend him highly for pre-buys and Annuals. Chad is based in Cartersville, in the area NW of Atlanta. Athens is one-third the distance for him that I am (I am in Laurens, SC). He had to drive here this past Friday (3.5 hours), as his partner had their Turbo Lance scheduled for a vacation trip. Even if he had to drive to Athens, it would only be an hour's drive (or thereabouts) for him.

As a final comment on the pre-buy, there won't be any significant difference in the time or cost involved in a thorough pre-buy versus an Annual. In fact, if I am personally involved with it, the pre-buy on a Sierra not known to me would almost certainly be more thorough than a subsequent Annual. I would want all the interior plastic window trim removed, all the door panels, side panels, and floorboards removed, the wingtips and tailcone pulled, and all the access panels removed (including those in the wheelwells). All the windows would be checked for de-bonding and signs of leaks. Any of the original yellow water-absorbent cabin wall insulation would get removed; even if you don't yet have replacement closed-cell aircraft foam. An extremely thorough corrosion inspection would be made. If the underfloor ducts for the rear seat heat are original, they would be replaced with new SCEET a quarter-inch smaller in OD. In part, this would allow for detecting corrosion on structure (including the center spar splice), brake lines, and retract lines, resulting from the original duct's rusting piano wire. Then, before reassembly, I would soak everything with ACF-50 or Corrosion X. Chad's inspection will even include such things as control surface and flap travel deflection measurements in degrees, and comparison to book values, to help detect improper repairs or mis-rigging. And since Chad holds the Inspection Authorization, he can then sign off your pre-buy as an Annual Inspection; probably one of the best the plane has ever had. If you want this kind of a pre-buy/Annual, you can bring both Chad and the plane from Athens to my hangar here in Laurens, where you can put it up on jacks to swing the gear. Laurens is probably only 40 minutes from Athens, Sierra time. I can fly from Laurens to PDK in an hour.

One of the best things about Chad, to me, is that if you can help him with the work, and you have what is needed (tools and supplies), Chad will include many types of repairs in his inspection fee. In other words, he is selling you some number of hours of his time for his fee. If the inspection itself doesn't use up all those hours, he will put the remaining time into fixing squawks that are found. Even if you don't have the required tools, if he knows in advance of special needs (like riveting gear), he will bring it. Chad also knows where Sunny B lives, with all the tools and equipment I have here, if you need to fly the plane into Laurens to work on it. Of course, if Chad is going out of his way to accommodate me during my Annual, in terms of time or special skills, I give him something extra along with his normal inspection fee. He is a great guy to work with, and he knows what to look at closely, on our planes. Chad's cell number is 678-591-0128.

We are wrapping up my 2006 Annual today. This year Sunny Beech got new NAS40 main cabin door hinges, new NAS40 outboard Stab Tab hinges, new Stab Tab linkage hardware, and new rudder pivot bushings.

---------- Original Message ----------------------------------
    Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 20:52:21 -0700
    I am considering purchasing a Sierra in Athens, Georgia. Does anyone have a recommendation for an A&P in the area for the pre-buy inspection? I may be able to take my A&P there, but he is not too keen on the idea. If I can find someone nearby, that would work better.
    Carl Foster Sundowner 9761L Tucson, AZ