Thread: Fwd: Sierra MLG Actuator Removal/Installation Saga

Fwd: Sierra MLG Actuator Removal/Installation Saga

Wes Knettle asked me to post my logbook sign-off. I don't know if it of any interest to most, you have to understand that I am more used to signing off maintenance action forms for military and commercial airplanes. But, I haven't done that for years. Here is my logbook entry:

L/H MLG would not retract after T/O - Found L/H MLG retract/extend actr rod end failed. Removed MLG actr and inspected actr bay and trunnion fitting for damage with no findings. Dissembled actr and inspected for damage/wear. Salvaged Teflon back-ups and resealed actuator with MS28775-018, 029 and 216 o-rings. Replaced failed rod end wiyth Aurora P/H MM-6 rod end and drilled for anti-rotation pin. Lubed both actr bearings and installed actr per section 3 of Beechcraft Shop Manual. Bled hydraulic system and serviced reservoir. Cycled landing gear and adjusted NLG up-stop. Checked MLG up-lock engagement and found satisfactory. Cycled landing gear 10 times and performed 3 emergency extensions with normal results. Checked for hydraulic systems leaks - none noted. Returned airplane to service in airworthy condition.

Marty Vanover
    Phoenix, Az.

Note: forwarded message attached.

---------------------------------
    Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:musketeermail-digest@yahoogroups.com
    mailto:musketeermail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Fwd: Sierra MLG Actuator Removal/Installation

Wes K <wsknettl@centurytel.net> wrote:
    Hello Marty,
    Very good log entry. I think it is nice to show just what a log entry
    for critical system work should entail for the benefit of those mebers
    who are not technicians. This will help them better see what they should
    expect of their A&P's. It's that old adage; "The job's not done till the
    paperwork's done".

Having spent 24 years in heavy military and civilian jet maintenance I
    can appreciate your comments. A couple of questions though. What manual
    was your reference for the actuator disassembly, repair, test and
    reassembly? Did you complete the adjustment of the out of tolerance
    uplock you mentioned in your first post that you were going to defer to
    the next annual?

Thanks agian for helping out.

Wes K

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wes,

I asked around before tackling the job as I thought the actuator was probably leaking internally. It seems there isn't a OHM or CMM for these actuators. The actuators are probably overhauled by repair shops using locally approved repair procedures. For field repair of hydraulic/pneumatic components, Advisory Circular 43.13-B1 Chapter 9 Section 2 provides guidelines for field replacement of seals and packing's. I guess I should have made mention to that in my logbook entry. So, I am copying the Musketeer Group so the next guy will know. Most A&P's and IA's use the information in this AC to perform general repairs and maintenance. It is one of the best sources information in one place we have in General Aviation as compared to Commercial Aviation's Chapter 20 "Standard Overhaul and Practices Manual" (SOPM). You can down-load ACs from the FAA's website.

The up-lock adjustment was not made due to the necessity of actuator removal and resultant system bleed required (I was tired of cleaning hydraulic fluid out of the airplane, off the hangar floor and my person at that time). I am sure there is a way to do it "in-situ" but I didn't have time to pursue it as I am a rookie Mouse Mechanic with a day job. The Shop Manual does not have many "tricks of the trade" written in it. Actually, the up-lock may not be out of tolerance as the Shop Manual states the clearance should be "about 0.030"..... So, technically, the adjustment is "about" right resulting in "satisfactory engagement". Still, I want to make it right-on and will be doing extensive landing gear preventative maintenance during the upcoming annual. We will "re-seal" the rest of the actuators and replace the rod ends on the other extend/retract cylinders at that time. I would recommend Sierra owners consider pulling the actuator bay panel and see if they can
    determine if they have original rod ends with flush fittings. While it is a real pain to do, I'd replace them at the next maintenance opportunity. If going the route I did, and use rod ends without grease fittings, add a maintenance requirement to lube the actuator bearings at each annual inspection.

Marty Vanover
    Phoenix, Az.

---------------------------------
    Want to start your own business? Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:musketeermail-digest@yahoogroups.com
    mailto:musketeermail-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com