Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: International Region

International Region

The International Region of BAC was created to give a voice to those members living outside the U.S. who might not have felt connected to one of the original regions.

So far no one has come forward to run for the office of International Regional Director. I would like some feedback from the International Region members as to whether the region should be continued or be dissolved and return those members to their former region.

I intend to conduct a formal poll of the Internation Region members on this subject after the elections to ensure that all have a voice but I would like to here what the Internation Region members have to say about the continued existence of the region.

as to whether the region should be continued or be dissolved and return those members to their former region.

Cloyd, what were their original regions?

The regions in the original Bylaws were:

SECTION 3 REGIONS

There shall be seven (7) regions defined as follows:

East Central Region The East Central Region shall consist of the states of Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio and Wisconsin and the Canadian province of Ontario.

North Central Region The North Central Region shall consist of the states of Iowa, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, and South Dakota and the Canadian provinces of Manitoba and Nunavut.

Northeast Region - The Northeast Region shall consist of the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, Virginia, and West Virginia; the District of Columbia; and the Canadian provinces of Quebec, Newfoundland, Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick and Europe.

Northwest Region The Northwest Regions shall consist of the states of Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming; and the Canadian provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories, and Saskatchewan.

South Central Region The South Central Region shall consist of the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas; and Mexico, Central America and South America.

Southeast Region The Southeast Region shall consist of the states of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina and Tennessee; and Puerto Rico and Africa and all islands of the Atlantic Ocean.

Southwest Region The Southwest Region shall consist of the states of Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Nevada and Utah; and Australia, Asia and all islands of the Pacific and Indian Oceans.

Thanks - I did not realize they were assigned to "U.S. Regions" in the beginning.

Wow

That means the Southwest Region takes care of about half the world. Awesome!

Seriously, other than Canada, I would imagine that the benefit to membership for most international members are the access to information about maintenance, parts and flying experience. The fly-in aspect would seem minimal.

The advantage to having an international RD would be that they could focus on issues pertinent to the organization that are unique to their experience. I hope that someone steps forward to take the job. If we do wind up folding the areas back in, we will have to be thoughtful of their unique perspective in representing their interests.

I will be interested is seeing how the poll works out.

Dan Jonas
    Napa Valley

Wanted to keep this on the Home page to see if any International Region members will comment.

I am not able to take it on, and I can see that the future is in jeopardy. I think Dan has hit it on the head, If it needs to be rolled into other regions that's OK as long as the geographically specific stuff is considered when tossing things around. I think there used to be a line that went something like "All for one and ........ you get the picture.
    Mark (in Oz)

Hi to All

As a Canadian BAC Member, I wanted to post my thoughts - but I know it's at the risk of sounding like a broken record!! Thank you Cloyd for opening the thread....

I can only speak for myself, I never agreed that the "International" region was acceptable at all - in any way- it immediately seemed to alienate me from my friends across the border only a few miles away. This may sound trival to some - but it was and is not. When I joined as a founding member of BAC we were "All for One" (thank your Mark Weiss for your comment), it was not a single nation organization with a rest of the world tagging along.

I was involved with the region closest to me and likely as most BAC Canadian members are on the US Border as well, they were (I hope) too. I think most would feel closer to the closest region to the south - it was very simple and it worked - we were "ALL for One" this way.

As what happens with the rest of the "International" Members - I think they should be asked what they think as Cloyd has suggested.

I want to make it clear - I am not - and never have bashed anyone over this - yes I have stated the case many times and not been happy with the outcome - but we do have a democratic process and I stay within it.

If anyone has questions or comments please do so!!!

Happy Holidays

Ed Fitchett
    C-GBTC
    Toronto Canada

Ed,

We've never understood each other's position on this.

The thought in creating the International Region was to give a voice to members outside the U.S. that have different issues that should be considered.

As far as being alienated by being in another region, I'm in the SC region but I've been to events in the NE, SE and NC regions. I haven't been thrown out yet.

But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. As I stated before after the elections I'll poll all the members of the International Region to see if the majority wants to continue to be members of an International Region or return to the way things were. We'll go with whatever the majority of the members of the International Region vote.

Cloyd