Thread: Casper Labs spin-on filter conversion

Casper Labs spin-on filter conversion

I was just cruising the web and came on this unit at Chief aircraft.
    It's an oil filter adaptor like the Lycoming one, except that it
    hangs the filter in a vertical position, unlike the horiz orientation
    of the lycoming adapter.

Seems like a real neat installation - might even fit in my Sundowner.
    I've been desiring a spin on oil filter because of the mess and
    fuss of cleaning the screen - which changes what should be a 1/2 hour
    oil change into a three hour project.

I do worry about hanging a heavy item on the back of a high-vibration
    engine. What if the nuts vibrate loose? It HAS happened to other
    folks, other installations, other airplanes. Bang-poof: oil all gone!

- Jerry Kaidor

Jerry, if you do a BAC search on 'Casper Labs', and read the various posts, you'll find all you need to know on this. To my knowledge, no one has been able to make these fit on one of our planes, due primarily to engine mount tube interference.

There are also some photos in the Photo Gallery/Maintenance.

For what it's worth

I also hated the mess and the A&P and I mounted the "Air Wolf" remote mount on my Sierra. I milled a solid alum. block to match the 'ledge' on the firewall, the A&P installed a backing plate on the inside and it was bolted through the firewall. The oil filter sits on the passenger side and you can reach/inspect it through the bottom without removing the cowling. When changing the cowling gets removed, but where it sits any drips/spill drops streight out the bottom....not on the engine mount etc. I am very pleased with this setup and have not had any problems yet. (installed last Feb. at annual)

Steve Nelson
    N18903 Sierra

I mounted an air wolf unit on the firewall in my sierra also. Similar location lower rght. Easy to see. Easy to use.

I mounted my ADC in a similar location - the ADC has the advantage of the milled in hex nut to apply counter torque for tightening or loosening the filter and we threaded in the chip detector wire through the existing hole used by the EGT leads. Pics are in the Photo Gallery under Maintenance -> ADC Filter Install.

One of the pix show an upright type one but also at ~ a 45 deg angle. Don't think anyone got to the bottom of that one (or even looked into it).

Mattituk sells 'em Afaik..

Quote Originally Posted by Rellihan
    Jerry, if you do a BAC search on 'Casper Labs', and read the various posts, you'll find all you need to know on this. To my knowledge, no one has been able to make these fit on one of our planes, due primarily to engine mount tube interference.

There are also some photos in the Photo Gallery/Maintenance.

Casper Labs spin-on filter conversion

Although more expensive, I'm very happy with my ADC remote filter.
    even less mess when the filter isn't hanging over the back of the
    accessory case. Airwolfe makes a descent kit too, but I like the way
    ADC builds theirs better. Don't even have to remove any cowl.

Joe

Those of you with remote-mounted filter systems, please be sure to look at the hoses, at every opportunity. This is particularly true if:
    -They were field-fabricated, with no pressure-testing and perhaps no TSO tag.
    - They are standard hose with standard firesleeve, and the ends are not sealed and the firesleeve is not banded at the ends.

If they are made of 124J (Teflon with extruded firesleeve), there is somewhat less risk exposure, and technically no life-limit on the hose itself. Even so, please keep a close eye on them. Almost every one of these installations is unique, with different hose lengths, routings, and support points. There is no long history behind identical installations that show (for example) what the effects of vibration and resonance might be, over time.

Some might never start leaking, others might show seepage within a few years. Hopefully none will outright fail, but with field-fabricated and untested hoses, that is a very real risk. So just take every opportunity to take a look at them, even if it is just up through the bottom with a flashlight.