Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sun-n-Fun info?

Sun-n-Fun info?

Having never been to Sun-N-Fun, I was thinking of going down commercially with my wife and staying around Bay Lake, which is alittle west of Orlando. Then renting a car and driving to Lakeland for a few days and doing some Disney things for the rest of the week.

Before I buy the tix and book a room (both seem VERY reasonable), I thought I'd post and see if anyone who's been might have a better suggestion on where to stay.

Thanks
    Kerry

Sun-n-Fun info?

Kerry -

Last year, we stayed at a motel in East Tampa - about a 20 minute drive from the show. Of course, if you are also considering a stop at Disney World.....

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar
    Kerry,

Rental cars in Florida are much less expensive than here around Boston. So, I have had no trouble in staying as far west as Tampa. Highway to SnF is easy. Hotel accomodations are more plentiful and there are beaches (not Beech's) nearbye. I will be in Florida with a Cessna pilot for golf and sun and SnF from April 17th to 24th.

Note: Mike Rellihan will invite you to meet at the "OAK" tree at SnF and sit in his chairs. Yes, the chairs are there but calling it an "OAK" tree is a stretch. He knows nuts and bolts... but...!

Tom Corcoran (Going to Greenwood Lake on Saturday?)

Just goes to show you what a Massachusetts resident knows about Florida Oaks (Pin Oak, Blackjack Oak, Water Oak, Live Oak, Post Oak, Willow Oak, etc.). The Oak at SNF, under which the infamous chairs reside, is a Live Oak, which are basically evergreens. The leaves are single-lobed with rounded tips; they hold their leaves all Winter, and slowly change them out each Spring. The Live Oaks and Water Oaks are all White Oaks. The Oaks the Braintree guy thinks he knows something about are Red Oaks, with leaves having pointed lobes. The Red Oaks lose their leaves each Winter.

So there, Corcoran. Now ask me something hard; like about aircraft hardware or something. By the way, did you ever bother to fix that aileron issue you hadn't noticed yet....

Looking forward to seeing you all again under the "Oak". I will be there early in the week, after a short Bahamas weekend before Sun n Fun.
    Paul

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar
    If anyone has SnF hotel reservations, list it in this forum. Maybe others would like to stay in the same hotel. I have not made my room reservation yet as Mike Rellihan has not sent his American Express Card number to me yet.

Mike, It still does not look like an oak. So it must not be an oak. An oak tree looks like the tree out my window. See?

Tom Corcoran

Re: Sun-n-Fun info?

Sounds like a good plan to me. I went for the first time (& it was wonderful) last year. The cheapest flights were to Tampa, so started out there & rented a car.

After that, took in SnF & pretty much the whole State.

Went to Osh once ~ 10 years ago & 'd like to head there this year.

Quote Originally Posted by kmuller909
    Having never been to Sun-N-Fun, I was thinking of going down commercially with my wife and staying around Bay Lake, whi ch is alittle west of Orlando. Then renting a car and driving to Lakeland for a few days and doing some Disney things for the rest of the week.

Before I buy the tix and book a room (both seem VERY reasonable), I thought I'd post and see if anyone who's been might have a better suggestion on where to stay.

Thanks
    Kerry

I'm planning on going again. Fly into Peter Knight field in Tampa and I usually stay in Bradenton (Fairfield or Hampton). Last time I went there the folks at PK were real nice and it was good to get away from the SNF crowd at Lakeland at night for dinners. I'm willing to change if others are coming.
    Dr Bill
    N9230S 76 Sundowner

Great airport Doc - great approach to 21 at night with all the lights. Will be there first week of March. Wish I could return for snf.

Fellow MiceDrivers:

Becky and I are going to SNF for the first time this year!!!! What are your recommendations for an airfield to fly into in the Central Florida area. Any information you could provide on tie-down fees and any other charges that one has to pay to stay on your suggested airport would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Gene McPherson
    Magnolia, AR
    N6008U