Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Northeast Fffly-Innn!

  1. #1
    Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,178

    Northeast Fffly-Innn!

    I think I waited too long to post a NEWS item so here's a repeat UPDATE
    Assuming I can get enough juice through the electric cable to the Tanis Heater tomorrrow AM, I will be at Greenwood Lake Airport some time after 0900.
    Join me at 4N1 for our first Fly-In of 2007. Too short notice for President's Trophy Points, but lunch is on BAC.
    Steve Cote
    El Jefe' del Nort-est


    Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

  2. #2

    Re: Northeast Fffly-Innn!

    North East for sure..the rest sounds Spanish; or perhaps poor Yankee French

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcote
    El Jefe' del Nort-est

  3. #3
    Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,178

    Re: Northeast Fffly-Innn!

    Quote Originally Posted by simik
    North East for sure..the rest sounds Spanish; or perhaps poor Yankee French

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcote
    El Jefe' del Nort-est
    Is there any other kind of Yankee French than poor? That's the other part of the family tree. The Irish side doesn't have any money either.


    Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

  4. #4
    Good thing you didn't pick me up Nasty wx here with (overnite) freezing rain. Whole city's a skating rink.

    Day before..-20c.

  5. #5
    Steve,

    Of course I left for the airport before you were able to post the message about all that "partly cloudy" stuff on your plane! I went IFR to 4N1 - that is I Follwed Road in my Subaru and left the Sundowner snug and warm in the hangar at MGJ. Got the message you left with Joe's folks in the Connie.

    Weather improved by noon with wind 5-10 mph right down Rwy 24 and about 5000 OVC. But later in the day it came back to normal with AWOS reporting wind 200 to 300 at 8 gusting to 20 and wind shear. Nearly all of the traffic was local, mostly students training. I hear they have trouble landing WITHOUT crosswinds after training there!

    Met a few flybuddies from Jersey and had a nice lunch in the cafe so it was a trip worth taking even if there were no BACers on the field.

    See ya next time!
    John Woods

  6. #6

    Re: Northeast Fffly-Innn!

    Pretty good in Noo Ohleans..afaik..
    (lesse le bon temp roule.).

    Heard about Petit Jean..out there somewhere..

    Quote Originally Posted by sjcote
    Is there any other kind of Yankee French than poor?

  7. #7
    Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Springfield, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,178

    Fly-In Falls Flat in Freakin' Forecast

    Quote Originally Posted by N923V
    Steve,

    Of course I left for the airport before you were able to post the message about all that "partly cloudy" stuff on your plane! I went IFR to 4N1 - that is I Follwed Road in my Subaru and left the Sundowner snug and warm in the hangar at MGJ. Got the message you left with Joe's folks in the Connie.

    Weather improved by noon with wind 5-10 mph right down Rwy 24 and about 5000 OVC. But later in the day it came back to normal with AWOS reporting wind 200 to 300 at 8 gusting to 20 and wind shear. Nearly all of the traffic was local, mostly students training. I hear they have trouble landing WITHOUT crosswinds after training there!

    Met a few flybuddies from Jersey and had a nice lunch in the cafe so it was a trip worth taking even if there were no BACers on the field.

    See ya next time!
    John Woods
    Ah, John,
    I hope you had a good time there. I am really sorry about the last minute flop.

    The snow stopped here by noon but the low clouds and virga (read: ice looking for a wing to stick to) stayed until I went to bed. The forecast for Sunday was more of the same so I pulled the plug on the 'rain date'.

    Guess what I woke up to? CAVU! (My wife considered going out for breakfast...with out me due to the really foul mood I was in. )Weather Channel kept talking about clouds and "significant" snow events here...while I was looking up at the blue. Forecast is still 3-6 " of snow. Right! It's 14:30 and still only partly cloudy.

    Of course, the rule of thumb for Fly-Ins is to keep them in VFR weather. Sure many, maybe most, members are IFR and could get in. But for folks, like me, who have not or will not get the "I" ticket (or who have it but are not current nor confident) we have to slant the rules against luring someone past their "smart zone". We all have them, at different levels. You know what I mean..."Well, gee, 'everyone else' is going. I should be a 'real' pilot and try it." No use risking the airplane or, shudder, a member and/or family.

    All I can say, to you and to all the folks in NE, is we'll keep trying.
    Steve


    Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

Similar Threads

  1. Northeast Fly-In, Westfield, MA
    By sjcote in forum Fly-Ins
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 07:18 PM
  2. Northeast Flying Opportunity
    By sjcote in forum Fly-Ins
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-09-2007, 07:11 AM
  3. Northeast Fly-In
    By sjcote in forum BAC Mail Archive - DO NOT POST HERE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 09:17 PM
  4. Northeast Reg'l Fly-In May 21
    By sjcote in forum Musketeer-Mail Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2005, 10:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO