Thread: stranded with electrical problem

stranded with electrical problem

My electrical system seemed to go dead when I tried to start. Priming etc seemed normal. Then Starter turned a very little. Now nothing when I turn battery master on.
    Any ideas? I am stranded in nassau bahamas right now.
    Paul

Re: stranded with electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by paulwerbin
    My electrical system seemed to go dead when I tried to start. Priming etc seemed normal. Then Starter turned a very little. Now nothing when I turn battery master on.
    Any ideas? I am stranded in nassau bahamas right now.
    Paul
    Well, I am not an AP but I did stay at a Marriott the other night..

SHould be fairly easty to trace down. Make sure you got a good battery first, try master on and turning landing light and other powered items and see if you got enough juice to run that stuff. If not, issue is either battery or dirty cable connection. Check cables at battery posts and clean/tighten if need be.

If plenty of battery but nothing happening with the starter.. check power cables to starter. If OK then, lets see, these things have firewall mounted solenoids don't they? check to see if power cables to solenoid are tight/clean.

You probably thought of all that already, but for what its worth.

Sure would love to hear how you make out getting started in Nassau. Hope you don't have to hand prop it to get home.

Paul,

See if the battery will take a charge. If it will but drains quickly after start then most likely the alternator. Mine went dead on a flight over New Years. You have all our cell phones listed on the Sun-n-Fun thread. Call us if you need us to ship anything.

Doug

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth corcoran's Avatar

stranded

Paul,

First a joke.

You are stranded WHERE? In the Bahamas?

So, what's the problem?

Now, for help:

I am staying in Clearwater for Sun 'n Fun. I am near you. I have a rented Cadillac. I am going where you are going.

My cell while in Florida 781 801 6869.

Tom Corcoran

thanks for all the help. It turned out that the battery master relay solenoid had gone bad. Found a creative mechanic. and here I am at Sun n Fun. The weird part is that the only other time this plane stranded me was in the same parking spot.

Paul, I would not park in that spot any more.

Unless you WANT to be stranded there.

Please give details on parking spot for other BACers that may want to stay awhile.

final update on battery relay emergency repair.
    First off the BAC archive was the best resource for a problem when nobody local knows our planes. The other great resource is Mike Rellihan, of course. Thanks for the help.

The battery master relay is located along with 2 other relays. Feel each one for a click while someone turns the master switch on and off to identify the proper relay (if the switch works)
    If the relay has failed there are 2 options for an emergency fix that I found. The relay leads can be bypassed with a battery cable sized wire. (probably not a legal option)Or, the external power relay is the same part # and can be swapped out for the bad relay.

I hope this helps someone that is in a similar situation one day.