Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MAINE

MAINE

I have never been to Maine either by car or plane. This summer I hope to make the trip in our Sierra but I don't know when or where to go. If you have some good suggestions I would be very appreciative.

Hopefully Tim or Brian Foote will answer, I'm thinking they live in Maine. Who better to comment than the natives?

They ran Tim out of Maine. He lives in New Hampshire now. But he still knows stuff about Maine. Like he could probably tell where to find good lobster.

Be sure to visit the LL Bean store in Freeport. There are no locks on the door because it's open 24/7. I'm not even sure they close for Christmas.

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar

Places in Maine?

Tom,
    What type of vacation are you looking for? Laid back, seeing natural beauty? Or shopping, tourists, and beaches?
    You can get either or both in that state. And with a plane you can add all the other New England states in too. (Maine itself is surprisingly large, but the other states are small compared to western locales.)
    The rock bound coast is what most people think of as Maine. And it is beautiful. It is also pretty full of touristas from the NH border up to Booth Bay. Still beautiful, mind you, but lots of folks.

The rest of the state ranges from timbered plains to timbered mountains, to, well, you get the idea. Gorgeous.
    As you get closer to settling plans, drop us a line. Gotta earn my keep as Regional Director or they'll fire my donkey. <G>

Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth Smithy's Avatar
    Funnily enough I'm from the other side of the world but a couple of years ago my wife and spent a week travelling around Maine, basing ourselves in Boothbay harbour. It was magical...we were there in late May before the holidays. Found a great aviation museum at Owls Head, went looking at Moose up near Bangor and ate lots of Lobster. Lovely part of the world....

Great ideas. I'm basicly looking for a long weekend to check out the scenery and raising my cholestrol levels. When does the tourist season begin there and is it better during the week? Thanks, Tom

I bought my Sierra from Bill Perry at Maine instument flight. He specializes in BAC planes and usually has a few for sale in the trade-a
    -plane. I'd just file that info in my brain before a trip to Maine in case some need pops up for maintenance etc.

If you are bringing golf clubs, fly into Sugarloaf Regional Airport (B21) and go play a round at Sugarloaf. You will never forget that course! Mountain golf at its best. One of their signature holes has the tee box on top of a cliff. Your tee-shot goes out off the cliff over a river and down to the green below. I've often had better luck tossing the ball down. The people at the course will even come pick you up at the airport.

As Paul mentioned, if you need any maintenance or want to fly around the pattern with a fleet of Sports, a couple of Sundowners, and a couple of other Sierras stop by Maine Instrument Flight in Augusta. (KAUG).

To grab a lobster and get more great scenery, head over to Bar Harbor Airport. You can get a shuttle bus into town for a lobster. Or rent a car and take a trip around Acadia National Park which is right there. (Then fly around the park after you've driven around.) You can catch whale watches from downtown as well.

As was mentioned earlier, you could also fly into Rockland and you can taxi up to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. They often have airshows on weekends.

For Sugarloaf and Bar Harbor I'd go on a weekday if you can to avoid the crowds. For Augusta it wouldn't matter much. For Owl's head you might catch an airshow on the weekend.

Tourist season is memorial day through labor day, but overall Maine isn't all that crowded.... especially in the air.

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar

Maine

Quote Originally Posted by TOMTERRIFIC
    Great ideas. I'm basicly looking for a long weekend to check out the scenery and raising my cholestrol levels. When does the tourist season begin there and is it better during the week? Thanks, Tom
    Cholesterol? Naw, seafood is good for cholesterol. Er, it's the butter on the lobstah and the sour cream on the potatoes that do the trick.

I heartily endorse the Boothbay basing. As far as the coast, it is central to everything. Mind you, there is a hell of a lot more coast north of there than south. But you really have to be a fan of thinly populated shore as you point toward Eastport. (Damn, now I'm gonna hear about it from folks Bangor to Machias.)

Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

Ground Effect Ground Effect
    Live in Pensacola FL for the summer. Then head to Maine for the winter. I know, I must be confused.

Maine

I have a cozy vacation get away place 8 miles from Sugarloaf. If you want to walk on the Appalachan trail, it is my back property boundry. No fuel or services at Carrabassett, and the teenagers love to siphon fuel for there cars. Much better at Rangeley lakes. They have fuel. Let me know if you want to use the place. Bugs are very BAD June/ July

Ron