Thread: No Title

No Title

Does anyone have any information / breakdown of parts / known location of
    parts for the nose gear actuator for a C24R 1980? My AME says he is looking
    for a replacement for the spring inside this unit which is out of tolerance.

Thanks

Ed Fitchett
    C-GBTC
    Toronto

Sierra nose gear actuator parts

Ed-

How did your mechanic determine the spring was out of tolerance? Mike R. posted a lot about this issue but I think there was some confusion as to what constituted tolerances. If you mechanic has it right, could you share the tolerances?

TYIA,
    Chris L.
    Sierra C24R
    N5106M

I think you are not referring to the hydraulic cylinder that extends/retracts the nose gear, but the downlock hydraulic cylinder. If so, this "slack" can be removed by shimming with washers. Contact Rellihan.

Bill

The nose gear down-lock rod is supposed to require at least 75 pounds of force to fully compress the spring that is under the piston, inside the cylinder. This is not the spring that is in the over-ride cartridge at the hook end of the rod. It is also not supposed to have any 'play' in the rod, before the spring is engaged. Unless the spring is near new, there will be play. That's because, with no internal piston stop, what stops piston travel in the up/unlock direction, is the stacked-up coils of the spring. Any compression spring that is operated in a stacked condition will unavoidably take a 'set'; and sooner rather than later.

I have obtained data for this spring, and have obtained a quote for a production run. Ditto for the big main gear over-center springs. They would be made from aircraft stainless steel (as is the original lock cylinder spring). I am still dealing with the issue of a PMA for the springs. I can't afford to put the money into them until I know I can legally re-sell them. I don't have any data yet for the main gear uplock cylinder internal springs. It uses a double spring, one inside the other. If anyone comes across an affordable uplock cylinder, please let me know. I have not found one yet, and mine have not yet needed work.

There have been no new Sierra main gear springs available for more than eight years; and only two show up in the salvage system, though I'm sure there are more. It is worth noting that none of the used springs I have checked have met the Beech drawing specifications. They are actually all stronger than the main gear spring spec. But they are usually warped/crooked as well.

What I would also like to do is examine the possibility of placing a solid aluminum rod inside the spring coils, of the correct length, to act as an internal travel stop But getting that 'legalized' would probably be cost-prohibitive.

In the meantime, you can remove end play in the rod (due to the spring 'set') by placing a few washers under the spring. Typical 'set' is about .200". Just be sure to verify that there is adequate downlock hook clearance when gear-up is selected.

Thanks all for your responses - I do not know how it was determined the sping was a prpblem bu it sounds like the shims will do the trick..

Ed Fitchett
    C-GBTC
    Toronto