Thread: Instrument Panel overlay color

Instrument Panel overlay color

I'm having some avionics improvements done including a new overlay installed to clean up my "patch work" panel and to cover the hole created when the ADF is discarded. I need to decide on the overlay color, that is, whether to use a light beige, or gray, or perhaps black. The interior is the beige tone with green. What are the advantages of light color vs black?
    thanks much
    Greg Johnson
    N2241L

Hi, Greg. I had thought some others would have weighed in on this by now. I have not personally completed a variety of panels. But I can tell you that, in my experience with the homebuilt world, the lighter-colored panels look better to me; and seem to be preferred over darker shades by a wide margin. Dark panels seem to be associated primarily with warbird restorations.

Climbing to Cruise Climbing to Cruise
    I agree with Mike, lighter colored panels look better in my opinon, and if you think about it it would not be a heat sink in sunlight as opposed to the Darker color panels. Grey with white lettering for information, red lettering for warnings and so forth would look better on a grey or lt grey panel than a black one in my opinion.

hope it helps

Monty

Thread resurrection!

As part of adding an engine monitor (AMU's) and the various ADS-B out options (AMU's), some wonderful person decided I don't have enough choices to consider and tossed in this: "Why don't you do a panel overlay in a nice light color and make your panel look updated!?" Innocently I asked "Where does one find out about panel overlay options?" and got that idiotic feigned innocent "I don't know" reply. Given I already feel like I have 50 choices on engine monitor configurations and 100 choices on ADS-B out configurations, I wanted to practice a strangle hold for this insolence.

The urge passed and no pilots were hurt in the hangar talk exchange.

So if you have done a panel overlay or have investigated it, I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Last edited by MDunlevie; 02-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me to, so far.

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

I did a cheap overlay with a "fake" carbon fiber vinyl sheet for about $20 and about a day of extra labor. I was fairly happy with the results for the cost. I will redo at some point but hard to beat the price.

One lesson learned...vinyl shrinks a lot when heated. If I do over I'll stick to the panel and leave the edges unstuck and let it bake in the TX heat a few days and come back and finish it off before I trim edges and holes. Also in the end I ended up doubling almost all of the thin areas with contact cement to get it to bond well. But it still still come off and clean up in 1/2 an hour if I redo.
    -=-
    Mark

P.S. The product I used is available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TN305QO - with links to several other colors.

Before:

During:

After:

Full Album of project:

https://goo.gl/photos/cQC4rrPUcNykFNuS9
    Last edited by mgooderum; 02-16-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Noticed that you changed the glare shield to gray also. How do you like the lighter color? Any problems with the sunlight? Night flying?

Rick

No problem at all. I used a flat finish and deliberately picked a medium grey. I can say i have no noticeable glare. But, as planned, the glare shield doesn't get nearly as hot from the sun shining down. Even after a couple of hours of flying the glare shield gets warm but never so hot as to be uncomfortable to touch.
    -=-
    Mark
    Last edited by mgooderum; 02-17-2017 at 08:05 PM.
    States Flown To/From/In (but not including over)