Thread: Parts Redux

Parts Redux

...What would be REALLY cool would be if Raytheon sold the aero center
    line to Univair - they have Ercoupe & Stinson and do an excellent job
    supporting them. Do you know that rubber shock absorbing pucks for an
    Ercoupe only cost $5 each from Univair?

Raytheon, are you listening?

- Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@tr2.com )

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Parts Redux

Some people have in fact made money parting out a plane. In many or most cases, the salvage dealers fare quite well when they bid on insurance company salvage.

And that is why RAPID is off the charts on parts like the $17K gascolator. They started a program of steady annual mark-ups on stock, many years ago. Between that and their lack of competitive bidding in the spares manufacture industry, along with immense mark-ups, their list prices go berserk on certain items. People use these examples to hype "the high prices of Beech parts". But honestly now; how many people do you think have actually paid $17K for a new gascolator? The answer is clearly "none". RAPID-Beech will never sell one at that price. This part (like so many other airframe-specific parts) rarely goes bad; it would have to be uncommon corrosion, accident damage, or a truly kludgy mechanic to create the need for a replacement. And the mechanic would pick up the phone and have a serviceable replacement located, from a salvage yard, within a day or two for perhaps $150-$250. Just as he would do for any other specialized airframe part for any other make of plane (not just Beech). And when push really comes to shove, our planes do still have a servicing manufacturer (as do C & P and a couple of others), and an AOG program is available to us. Some spare parts for other low-volume planes are almost non-existent.

Only the Continental IO346 engine in a relative handful of the earliest Musketeers has actually been "semi-orphaned", in the sense that cases, cams, and cranks are no longer made. But Continental does offer a new cylinder kit. And it seems like someone is selling a serviceable IO346, or parts for one, every few weeks. There are clearly still some parts and engines available for this model, and the engine provides the advantage of fuel injection.

Classics like the Stinson, original Cub, Ercoupe, etc. are very simple airplanes that require very few unique parts that actually wear out and must be replaced with new (though there are a few). Univair is certainly the outfit that BAC would attempt to partner with, if Raytheon ever tries to dump the piston line parts market. We have also already partnered with some folks in the effort to get a few wear items made available at lower cost (door handles, lock cylinders, gear cushions are some examples). That was a key purpose of forming the BAC Type Club, to reduce the cost of keeping these great planes in the air. We already have as many or more members than the T34 Association, and we haven't even reached our first birthday (getting close!). We have a terrific website; and I think a great many members could honestly say that they have saved more than their dues already. Some of us are constantly watching for lower-cost parts, which are listed in the BAC Classifieds at a reduced price, before being offered on eBay. We have also arranged for some product discounts with certain providers (shown on the website), and we are sometimes able to get services discounts during fly-ins (such as IFR recertification).

But hey, I'm biased; I helped found BAC, and I love my Sierra! See the July issue of AOPA Pilot, and you'll see more reasons "why"!

----- Original Message -----
    To: jerrytr2com
    Cc: Musketeer Group
    Sent: Friday, June 24, 2005 7:17 PM
    Subject: Re: [musketeermail] Parts Redux

Jerry,

You'er right. I had a Stinson 108-2 and Univair had anything I needed. I even got all the manuals from them. I am looking at getting a Sundowner or Sierra, but you guys are scaring me. The first $17K gascolator I would have to buy would put the plane in the garage for the parts market. Hmmmm.....Could you make money parting out your airplane???

Martin Vanover, A&P
    Mexico City, Mexico

jerrytr2com <jerry@tr2.com> wrote:
    ...What would be REALLY cool would be if Raytheon sold the aero center
    line to Univair - they have Ercoupe & Stinson and do an excellent job
    supporting them. Do you know that rubber shock absorbing pucks for an
    Ercoupe only cost $5 each from Univair?

Raytheon, are you listening?

- Jerry Kaidor ( jerry@tr2.com )

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

Parts Redux

OK my 2 cents worth on the parts debate. About 4 years ago I bought a "hangar queen" Sierra. I knew that a bit of work was required to get it in shape. The the deal closer was the relationship I have with an IA. We went over the plane planned a course of action, figured the costs involved and decided that with the cost of the plane it was doable. Having a list of what we wanted to fix, repair and replace made all the difference. We knew what parts we would need in the future (except for breakdowns) as some of these parts became available, especially parts single sourced thru Rapid, we purchased them for future use. There are many aviation shops that have some parts around and quite a few Rayethon shops that have a part or two. The throttle cable comes to mind, I found one in a Beech service center. They thought the part was obsolete as it had been around a "few years" bought it for the last price they showed on their books ( about $100) We also had a back up plan as Rapid did not
    have any at that time, but they willingly gave me their source. At this time I did not NEED a throttle cable but it was on the list of things to replace. 6 months later we replaced the cable. The back up plan was in case of an urgent need for a cable, get one from their source ( which I was told that the cable will be the same except for the Beech #) As part of our plan we visited the local FSDO and let them in on our plan and invited them to come by when they were in the area.
    Again I cannot stress the importance of having an IA that you have built a relationship with. Nobody works for free and it is best to buy a few hours here and there to work out a plan, the mechanic likes it and takes an active interest in helping improving the plane. I do not wait for annual time to find out what may be wrong. I do an inspection check about 4-5 months before annual, we do not open everything but we do a compression test and look at most of the airframe for areas that may need a closer look. Guys it is a cost effective plan and I like the feeling when flying that things have been looked at recently. This is probably more than a simple answer but I thought I would share it for what it is worth.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links