Muskateer A23 (M555) 165HP

I have an occasional shimmy in the nose gear.(maybe every 15th
    landing) My mechanic says I need a new shimmy dampner at$900.00 and
    some rubber grommet for an addl $900.00. This seems way out of line
    but I am new to Beechcraft. I put several on 172s and Cherokees and
    they cost more like $100. Am I getting my head ripped off or is this
    my welcome to the Beech world? Anybody got a shimmy dampner they want
    to sell? Thanks Wayne Sturman 321 543 9000 Cocoa Florida

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Muskateer A23 (M555) 165HP

I'd be interested to hear Bob Steward's view on my comments on this subject, as I think he has worked on more of the older airframes.

95% of the time, a new nose wheel shimmy appearance is the result of excessive play in the gear. Wheel bearings loose, steering rod loose, knee bushings loose, pivot bearing loose, centering cable loose, steering cartridge rod loose. The purpose of the damper is to keep shimmy from rapidly worsening once it starts; you don't even need a damper if there is no free play to start a shimmy. The steering rod with its spring cartridge also provides some damping function.

Any loose bushings and bolts, including those on both ends of the damper and steering rod, cause a stack-up of free play. The damper is at fault only a very small percentage of the time. Putting on a brand new damper may help control it better for a short time, but if the real cause is play in the gear, it will come back fairly quickly. With the nose raised, the gear should be checked for steering (left-right) play at the tire, then again with the damper and steering disconnected, and again with the steering rod reconnected (without the damper), to help identify where the play is coming from, before throwing money at the problem.

Before buying a new damper, I would personally put your own hand on the rod end and pull-push on it. While technically it is supposed to have immediate resistance in both directions (virtually zero in-and-out play or slack), realistically very few are actually that tight except when brand new (and sometimes not even then). I have found damper play exceeding an eighth of an inch with no problems with shimmy. Most mechanics are not familiar with the 19/23/24 unit, and assume that it has to be totally play-free. Some of the units used on Cessnas and Bonanzas can be refilled, and get topped off during each Annual Inspection (because they leak). If you find a quarter-inch or so of free play in the damper, you should probably replace it. Even if it is not the cause of the shimmy, you want the damper to be able to control its scope before damage occurs.

The dampers are not normally serviceable (crimped barrel ends). I sure would check with Arrell Aircraft, and some salvage yards, before I'd pay RAPID's list price for one. We also have a BAC member who is willing to try to get a price discount from RAPID, for other members. Check the BAC Discounts page for referrals. The parts book implies that the same damper is used on all the 19/23/24 airframes.

I cannot imagine a rubber grommet for $900. You'll need to elaborate a bit on that comment.

----- Original Message -----
    To: musketeermail@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 4:00 PM
    Subject: [musketeermail] Muskateer A23 (M555) 165HP

I have an occasional shimmy in the nose gear.(maybe every 15th
    landing) My mechanic says I need a new shimmy dampner at$900.00 and
    some rubber grommet for an addl $900.00. This seems way out of line
    but I am new to Beechcraft. I put several on 172s and Cherokees and
    they cost more like $100. Am I getting my head ripped off or is this
    my welcome to the Beech world? Anybody got a shimmy dampner they want
    to sell? Thanks Wayne Sturman 321 543 9000 Cocoa Florida

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join BAC today and be a part of the ONLY Type Club for the Musketeer series!

www.beechaeroclub.org

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/musketeermail/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    musketeermail-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/