Thread: [musketeermail] door hinge

[musketeermail] door hinge

The NAS40 dash four (3/4" from pin centerline to edge of flange) will work. It is close to three rivet diameters from the centerline of the rivet row, to the edge of a -4, 3/4" wide flange. The replacement rolled hinge being sold by RAPID is 3/4" flange hinge. One half of the replacement is 19" long, and the other is 19.25" long.

Note that, unless you have abroken leaf on both sides (or a seriously worn hinge bore), you only need to replace the bad side and the hinge pin. As I have posted before, taxiing with an open door, and especially doing start-up and shut-down with the door open, is what breaks the piano hinge. If you don't have powered cabin ventilation (or a Kool-Scoop), and must therefore use an open door during hot weather, at least keep it closed during start-up and shut-down.

----- Original Message -----
    To: musketeermail@yahoogroups.com (musketeermail@yahoogroups.com)
    Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 11:42 AM
    Subject: [musketeermail] door hinge

Hi guys,

It's been a while. My mouse is in for annual and need a door hinge.
    Found the supplier in CA. Genuine aircraft hardware. But, does anyone
    know the exact specs (width, length, etc) for the hinge (NAS40). Want
    to make sure I get the right one. 79 C23. Looked thru the archives
    and BAC stuff and couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.

Dan Siebold
    N6047C @ VAY C23
    Haddonfield, NJ
    <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

mike at rellihan.com

[musketeermail] door hinge

P.S. I think ittakesless thaneighteen inches, but since it is sold by the foot, you'll need a two-foot length. Note that the NAS40 is sold in halves. If you need both sides of the hinge, you'll need two 24" lengths. If you do a rough measurement of your doors, you can estimate the needed length pretty easily. If it is somewhat under 18" and you need both sides, and if the hinge is available in a 36" length, you could buy one length and cut it in half. Remember that you'll have some waste when you do this, so make sure you have at least an inch to spare.

To: musketeermail@yahoogroups.com (musketeermail@yahoogroups.com) ; Dan Siebold (dtms320@gmail.com) ; BAC Mail (bac-mail@beechaeroclub.org)
    Sent: Sunday, July 17, 2005 9:04 PM
    Subject: Re: [musketeermail] door hinge

The dash four (3/4" from pin centerline to edge of flange) should work. It is close to three rivet diameters from the centerline of the rivet row, to the edge of a -4, 3/4" wide flange. If you want to play it safe, at the cost of a possible need to do a little trimming, you can order the dash five width, which is 7/8" wide. That would provide an extra rivet diameter from the rivet row to the edge of the flange. AC43 specifies a minimum of two rivet diameters (from a rivethole to the edge of the piece).

Note that, unless you have abroken leaf on both sides (or a seriously worn hinge bore), you only need to replace the bad side and the hinge pin. As I have posted before, taxiing with an open door, and especially doing start-up and shut-down with the door open, is what breaks the piano hinge. If you don't have powered cabin ventilation (or a Kool-Scoop), and must therefore use an open door during hot weather, at least keep it closed during start-up and shut-down.

I have a replacementrolled-style hinge, but unfortunately it is still down in my KSGJ maintenance hangar, so I can't measure it for you. Since I have just been using pieces from my NAS40 stock as needed, rather than ordering it at the moment, I just don't remember with certainty what the actual size is.

To: musketeermail@yahoogroups.com (musketeermail@yahoogroups.com)
    Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 11:42 AM
    Subject: [musketeermail] door hinge

Hi guys,

It's been a while. My mouse is in for annual and need a door hinge.
    Found the supplier in CA. Genuine aircraft hardware. But, does anyone
    know the exact specs (width, length, etc) for the hinge (NAS40). Want
    to make sure I get the right one. 79 C23. Looked thru the archives
    and BAC stuff and couldn't find it. Thanks in advance.

Dan Siebold
    N6047C @ VAY C23
    Haddonfield, NJ
    <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->

The original reply has been edited to reflect the actual measurements off a replacement hinge from RAPID. I had to fly down to Jax, FL, so I dug out the part and measured it.