Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Article: Ground Power Plugs

Quote Originally Posted by sjcote View Post
    It IS hard. The receptacle is slightly tapered; though the plug isn't (dammit). So if you grab the ring with pliers and pull straight out (well...maybe a little twist too) it will stretch and thin.
    Now getting it back in? #^*@#!!
    Well, actually the receptacle is not tapered internally. The one in my hand measures 1.002" from front to rear internally. Besides, the main "gripping" action of the rubber plug is on the 3/8" diameter center (Battery Positive Connection) pin in the center of the receptacle as shown in Jay Bruce's Rubber Plug photo above..
    Last edited by Manhein; 07-01-2013 at 05:24 PM.
    Bill Manhein
    Sierra N6164C
    KBTR

States visited by N6164C

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Hmm, must be the sheer depth of the receptacle that makes it look tapered.

Steve Cote
    BAC Founding Member
    Sundowner N-1958L

Bill, that makes perfect sense for the plug to grip the center instead of the perimeter. Great observation!

"also, was that on the L/h side? My battery is on the r/h side, and I kinda expected the receptacle to go on the same side as the battery... "

Put it where ever you would like it. If you put it on left or right side behind the flaps, you should be able to get the weight and balance arm from someone else that had one from the factory (if you're into that sort of thing). I know for a fact that the one on Bob Lewis' Bonanza is located on the right side, in front of the wing and about half way up. I wonder where his battery is?? Bob, did I locate that about right? And, BTW, Bob's Bonanza, that's a fine looking flying machine right there...
    Last edited by j_w_bruce; 07-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.

I am planning on doing a full W&B after my panel mods, removing antennas and ADF and stuff, other little mods, adding a ballast in back, and finishing stripping the paint under the wings. ( someone in the past only did half the job and it looks HORRIBLE...).

That is one reason that I will do this now: while it is down and gonna be open all over I might as well do all the small things like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sjcote View Post
    Hmm, must be the sheer depth of the receptacle that makes it look tapered.
    Steve, train tracks don't really come together in the distance either. They stay the same distance apart.
    Cloyd Van Hook
    Founder and First President of BAC

States visited (though not necessarily landed in) by N2393L (AKA Minnie), N9227S (AKA Annie) and N26TM (AKA Mary) while I've owned and flown the aforementioned aircraft.

I located mine per Beech's location for the Bonanza. On the other models I have seen, they are located on the battery side as close as possible to the location of the battery. Your IPC should spell out the proper location.

Thank you Bob - I will definitely do my research before cutting any metal!

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth sjcote's Avatar
    Bill,
    I have not seen your current price for the plugs. Have a friend who thinks he wants one. I tole him he needs to join first or he will not get one.

MB-675 1974 Sport the receptical is on the right side below the baggage floor line. MC-785 1983 Sierra the receptical is mounted just aft of the large baggage door handle just below the hat shelf line on the left side of the fuselage.