Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Smoketown Fly-In August 10th S37

Smoketown Fly-In August 10th S37

There is a flyin at Smoketown (S37) www.smoketownairport.com you get a free t-shirt if you are the pilot in command (From smoketown not BAC) im sure if we get enough people interested we can get Tom to provide some BAC T-shirts as well!

Hi Eric,

I have my medical appointment on Thursday - so if weather looks good - I might try to make this one... Have you been to any of the previous events - any issue getting in and out with so many planes showing up ???

Regards,
    Scott
    N63503 - 1982 Beech Sundowner
    Tin Mouse
    The Office

I havent been to this one it is a small airport that sits next to the class D of lancaster so I imagine they might provide seperation(Im departing from lancaster so I know ill get seperated and advised of traffic).

They don't have a big ramp there.It will be interesting to see where they put everything.

Quote Originally Posted by DF14w View Post
    They don't have a big ramp there.It will be interesting to see where they put everything.
    Yeah - that was my concern - I was counting the 2012 arrival pix and they show more than 100 planes (not a single baby Beech among them) - I checked out the satellite images of the airport and it doesn't look like they have a great deal of room - parking could be really cramped...

Regards,
    Scott
    Tin Mouse
    The Office

They have a lot of grass alongside the runways, so that might be a possibility.

Just spoke to someone who was at it last year and they have grass they put the planes in and people directing them.

You guys going if we have good weather ?

Funny - last time I heard Smoketown mentioned was in an AOPA magazine article about a convicted pilot/drug smuggler serving time... Since he was already incarcerated - he shared his story from a pilots perspective... Smoketown was his East coast distribution point... He lived in California - made his pickup near the Mexico - then flew East... It was definitely an interesting read - he did it for many years - prior to being caught...

Regards,
    Scott
    Tin Mouse
    The Office

Too early in week to confirm for Saturday, but if nothing else going on will probably give it a shot.

Im in weather permitting.