Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Landing gear donuts.

Wow! Beechcraft was owned by Hawker first and now by Textron! It never ends.......... a revolving door....come and go!

Just to confuse you a little more,............. the “Beechcraft” parts are the “Hawker”parts are the “Textron” parts, but they are actually Lord products. But, you can’t buy them from Lord direct.
    Mark
    In Oz

Where I have landed a Beech

(Plus, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom)

Quote Originally Posted by vbfgreg View Post
    Textron is quoting 1171.65 per set through my account.
    Ying Ling Aviation 169-380003-7 1098.42 per set (1 set each gear) unless I'm seeing things wrong http://www.cessnadirect.com/169-380003-7.html
    Should I get them rather than Aeci?
    Beechcraft/Textron made by Lord is tossed around by us as being at $3k, because $1,171.65 x 3 is $3,514.95, or about $3k. AECI at $780 is $2,340.

Greg if you are only doing your mains (really good NLG donuts still?), that would be $2,343.30 Textron versus $1,560 AECI. That's a lot of 100LL you can have...
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me to, so far.

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

Ok, I'll chime in here. I have personally installed over 50 sets (gear legs) of AECi donuts. I have never installed Textron/Hawker/Beech/Lord donuts. I have actually installed the pre-2006 AECi donuts, and as of this morning have never split one nor had a failure. It's all in doing the install properly, and not following the maint manual (MM) exactly as written. It is very easy to over compress the donuts, especially the NLG donuts. Yoda told me that Beech Lord donut installations at the manufacturing point failed in the 50% range. I have never verified that, but with the effort Mike put into the donuts, I trust his recollection.

I have approached Lord personally, offered to buy in bulk, and no joy they will only supply to Textron.

I really am just a disgusted with the poor business practices of Kamran Rhouni, but fact is his product is serviceable and cheaper than the Beech product.

If you think there is a way to delay donut installs, think again. Old, hard donuts will put every ground operation on your spar, only dampened by the air in your tires. The "I land softly" excuse should be rephrased: "I only bend my spar softly". I have pix.

Rant out,

Rap
    Last edited by Unclerap; 12-07-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Rap McBurney
    N28848

Even 20 year old donuts are ok until you find the crack in the gear leg mount where it bolts to the spar. $$$$$

Quote Originally Posted by MDunlevie View Post
    Beechcraft/Textron made by Lord is tossed around by us as being at $3k, because $1,171.65 x 3 is $3,514.95, or about $3k. AECI at $780 is $2,340.

Greg if you are only doing your mains (really good NLG donuts still?), that would be $2,343.30 Textron versus $1,560 AECI. That's a lot of 100LL you can have...
    Good point Michael, that a pretty big chunk of change. Thankfully the nose gear was done 2 years ago.
    Bob and Rap, thanks for your input (and Rap, your try with Lord). I need to get this done, the sooner the better or it could be a really big chunk $$$$$.
    Last edited by vbfgreg; 12-07-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Greg
    N66313 M-2192

Since I am installing my donuts this week, I wanted to verify that the bad donuts were dated 2006. I have donuts dated 07/2016. I believe they are fine, and I have looked this issue up in the postings but I would like to be sure. Are they OK?

Thanks
    Last edited by MusketeerMike; 12-11-2017 at 01:42 AM.
    Mike O'Bannon
    Beech B-19 N1974W
    Apple Valley, CA

Mike, from the dates that were on the other thread about the bad donuts I think you are good.
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me to, so far.

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123