Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska 2020

Smile Alaska 2020

I am planning on flying to Alaska in 2020. After questioning Nelson and Bob and checking weather records, the dates will be depart on June 13, 2020 from the Midwest and return to arrive back on Jun 28, 2020. If anyone else would like to join in, please add to this post. I am posting early since the trip requires a huge amount of planning. Since I am leaving from the Midwest I will follow the ALCAN route and base at Fairbanks (FAI). If you are you are from other points in the US we can pick a point to meet up and fly together. For me this will be a outdoorsy trip with most nights in a tent. There is camping on the field af FAI. I plan on several fly-outs from there, with possible destinations of Barrow, Nome, and Anchorage. I will post a fly-in for Fairbanks.

For anyone that has this trip on their bucket list, here is a chance to go as a BAC group. The more the merrier!

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser

Quote Originally Posted by WeiserDenisP View Post
    I am planning on flying to Alaska in 2020. After questioning Nelson and Bob and checking weather records, the dates will be depart on June 13, 2020 from the Midwest and return to arrive back on Jun 28, 2020. If anyone else would like to join in, please add to this post. I am posting early since the trip requires a huge amount of planning. Since I am leaving from the Midwest I will follow the ALCAN route and base at Fairbanks (FAI). If you are you are from other points in the US we can pick a point to meet up and fly together. For me this will be a outdoorsy trip with most nights in a tent. There is camping on the field af FAI. I plan on several fly-outs from there, with possible destinations of Barrow, Nome, and Anchorage. I will post a fly-in for Fairbanks.

For anyone that has this trip on their bucket list, here is a chance to go as a BAC group. The more the merrier!
    Denis, I have flown the ALCAN a few times from Whitehorse, YT to the lower 48. 2 weeks is not enough time to really enjoy the trip. I know who has 4 weeks free to run around the country? But the time and money you spend on a 2 week trip would be way more fun spending a few days in several locations, VS an overnight and a quick tour of the area.

Just my thoughts. Feel free to PM or call me.

Bill B
    Juneau, AK
    907-790-2249 Weekends..
    Last edited by Bill B; 08-07-2019 at 10:59 PM.

PPL and Owner since 1996

Denis,
    If you can do it, allow a bit more time. The wx can be fickle there.

I am fortunate enough to have that one in my bucket already (Thanks, Bob S!). The camping at Fairbanks (PAFA) is “plush”, to say the least. Hot showers, sheltered (open) kitchen with a great wood stove, and firewood delivered with a smile. There are 110v sockets on the wall behind the shower block. Pitch your tent right beside the plane. Too easy!
    Mark
    In Oz

Where I have landed a Beech

(Plus, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, United Kingdom)

Orbiting Earth Orbiting Earth bbyer's Avatar

North West Staging Route to Alaska

You will effectively be following what in WWII was called the North West Staging Route. About 8,000 US warbirds made the one way trip to Russia thru Edmonton. In fact it was in Edmonton where the white star was painted red.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northwest_Staging_Route

I see you say that you will be turning around in Alaska and not going on into Siberia - probably wise given your time constraints.

Unfortunately, you will not beable to touch down at Army Air Base Edmonton / aka RCAF Station Edmonton (CYXD), as our City Fathers tore it up five years back. You may however wish to consider a strip about 25 miles northeast of Edmonton where I now hangar my 19A.

It is called Josephburg, CFB6. The 4560 ft x 100 paved and lighted strip (08/26) (2,069 ft ASL) has GPS approaches and will handle most Musketeers with ease.

Better yet, we have 100LL available 24/7 and it loves US credit cards.

The town of Fort Saskatchewan is about 5 miles away and has real hotels with running water and flush toilets. (That will not necessarily be the norm further north.) There are high class eating spots such as McDonalds and A&W etc and feature Heinz ketchup, another luxury not to be taken lightly.

CFB6 just outside of the the CYEG control zones so is easy to get into and out of. I think that may be one reason we routinely see a lot of light traffic stopping for fuel or overnight on flights from Alaska to the Lower 48.

I think we must also have the cheapest Jet A in the area as it seems every helicopter passing thru stops there.

Today we had a Dassault Falcon 7X three holer in just to add a bit of class to the strip as lately it has seemed to be a playground for turbine Thrush spray planes.

In summary, CFB6 it is a good fuel stop right on the route and is worthy of consideration. (There are no landing fees; the County owns and runs the strip.)

https://skyvector.com/airport/CFB6/E...phburg-Airport
    1969 Musketeer 19A
    O-320-D2B 160hp
    MB-450 C-GYGP
    Edmonton/Josephburg CFB6
    Alberta Canada

I'll be here in PALH! Lemme know when you're near!

Is the Siberia route still open? We tried it on the 2005 trip, but fog got us at Nome. Probably just as well, as they apparently didn't have 100LL at Providenya, though it was reported they did.
    Bob Schmidt, Founding Member
    Sundowner N282G has landed in:

Also flew VH-WEI in Oz.

Denis,

This is a great time to plan with many months to discuss. Yes, I will consider joining in and here are my few inputs for the team:

- - good job on an earlier month. Any later, the mosquitoes can make outdoor activities impossible. Even earlier dates would be better for avoiding the tourists as well.
    - - keep expectations low. Just getting to Fairbanks would be a great accomplishment! It is not unusual to get stuck at an airport for several days due to the weather
    - - it has been done, but I would be mixing my Sundowner cruise with the higher speed Sierra. It would be sad if I cost you a day or more because I am VFR and slower, so let's work through this.
    - - flying the Alcan route would be my personal requirement. The terrain is VERY unforgiving. Flying as a group is positive.
    - - for me, a trip to Talkeetna would be a recommendation. This is the jump off point for those heading to "the mountain".
    - - I might head down to Kenai for a visit with neighbors and friends
    - - I would vote for a rally point somewhere in the northern part of the States prior to the trip, giving us a day or so for additional prep

Overall - - a very exciting prospect!
    Nelson Amen
    landed and supported local economy

Denis, this has been on our list so we're interested! Starting with when, and asking those experienced or living up there, is the best time to get optimal weather?
    Michael Dunlevie

N9185S has taken me, so far...

It has ever been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. Abraham Lincoln

I don't know if I could actually make it happen but I'm very interested!

I am excited that several of the BAC family are interested in going. Don't worry about the speed difference between the Sierra and the Sundowner we will work that out. If you haven't already looked at it, the AOPA website has some great articles on international flying and flying to Canada. Also a good article on the FAA website on crossing the border into Canada. Bob has a website he setup from his 2005 trip that has a useful spread sheet and pictures. The AOPA has a check sheet that would be great to use. When I get on a PC I will post links.

Bill and Mark have made a good point about the weather and allowing time for it. I haven't read a single diary of someone flying the ALCAN route without having a weather delay. I am planning on two weeks, but it is important to just be realistic that it may take longer than that. I have this four letter word I have to factor in "WORK". The owner of the company I work for is going to have a melt down when he finds out I am going to be gone for two weeks, but I figure if you can't get back, you can't get back. Work will wait.

Bboyer has made an offer to meet up at his airport and I think that would be a great idea. I didn't realize he was that close to Edmonton. Due to the different flight paths to get to the ALCAN route, CFB6 would be an excellent place to meet to start the journey together. My International departure airport will be Williston ND (it might work for Allen too), and Nelson/Michael's would most likely be Cut Bank, MT. The Canadian arrival airport would be Edmonton to clear customs, then just a short hop to CFB6.

I am jumping into planning, but I have been thinking about this for a couple years. We can have a planning get together at BACFest. The great thing about BAC is we have members that have made the trip, Canadian members, and Alaskan members that have a lot knowledge to help make this a success.
    Last edited by WeiserDenisP; 08-08-2019 at 10:53 PM.

N9357S - B24R Sierra
    Denis Weiser